Search this blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012

1899-06-23 Joe Walcott W-PTS20 Dan Creedon [Broadway Athletic Club, New York, NY, USA]

1899-06-24 New-York Tribune (New York, NY) (page 2)

"Joe" Walcott, "Tom" O'Rourke's coal-black protégé, received the decision over "Dan" Creedon after fighting twenty hard and fast rounds at the Broadway Athletic Club house last night. O'Rourke, who is one of the principal owners of the Lenox Athletic Club, where the "fake" bout between "Mike" Morrissey and Peter Maher took place on Tuesday night, was second for Walcott. O'Rourke was hissed many times in the evening.

The preliminary contest between "Harry" Fisher and "Tim" Hurley was stopped by the referee in the third round. Hurley was in too weak a condition to continue longer.

1899-06-24 The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (Brooklyn, NY) (page 3)
Receives the Decision Over Creedon in Twenty Rounds.

A couple of months ago, when Dan Creedon of Australia was put out by Joe Walcott, the Barbadoes negro, he declared that his defeat was a fluke, resulting from carelessness, owing to over confidence on his part. He asked for a return match and stated his willingness to wager $1,000 that he could turn the tables.

Walcott agreed to meet him again and the contest took place at the Broadway Athletic Club last evening, but again Creedon was able to do no better than land second place. Walcott held him well in hand from the start and had his eye cut and nose bleeding early in the battle. The negro reached the head repeatedly with short left and right swings, but was blocked cleverly on most of his attempts for the body, Creedon's weak spot. Dan sent home some hard right drives to Walcott's body and left jabs to the face. Many times he succeeded in crossing his right to the jaw, but his blows carried no steam behind them and Walcott simply grinned and fought him back fiercely at close quarters. Walcott received the decision at the end of the twenty rounds.

In the preliminary bout Jim Hurley of Susquehanna and Harry Fisher of Brooklyn met for ten rounds at catch weights. Fisher punished his opponent severely, three times in the second round sending him to the floor with left and right swings on the head. The Susquehanna boy was game and came up for the third, weak but determined. He was no match for Fisher, who landed repeatedly on the jaw, Hurley at last going to the floor. He would have been up at the count, but the referee saw that he was practically beaten and stopped further hostilities and awarded the decision to Fisher.

1899-06-24 The Morning Telegraph (New York, NY) (page 1)
But the Australian Stayed to the End of the Twentieth Round.
He Was Very Tired at Times and His Blows Had No Effect on the Negro.
It doubtless affords Dan Creedon some satisfaction to know that he remained in the ring twenty consecutive rounds with the "Black Demon," Joe Walcott. The Australian proved to his friends (and few boxers have more friends than Dan Creedon) that Walcott could not put him to sleep in a round. The once great middleweight also furnished proof that his courage is as great as ever.

In doing that, however, Creedon showed conclusively that his day is past. The speed, stamina and hitting power that once made him prominent have departed, and while the spirit is willing the flesh is weak.

Few of the 4,000 persons who packed the Broadway Athletic Club last night expected Creedon to last more than a few rounds, but he came up round after round, battered, bleeding and nearly exhausted. It seemed impossible that he could elude the sledge hammer blows of the inky-skinned demon, who, grinning and malevolent, danced about the worried Caucasian.

Occasionally the white man rallied and retaliated for the stinging punishment inflicted, but the effect of his blows was but to make his opponent grin the wider.

Creedon's Blows Lacked Steam.

Although Creedon landed several times on the point of the jaw, the negro was not in distress at any time, and won in a canter.

On the other hand, Creedon caught a shower of left and righthanders every round, and was in sore distress several times during the bout.

Walcott weighed 143 and Creedon not less than 160. The Australian also had six inches the best of it in the matter of height. In the face of these disadvantages, Walcott made an aggressive fight from gong to gong.

The conditions of the bout were a clean break, which prohibited hitting on the breakaway. Walcott did not break the rule, although he was continually hissed by the crowd. The negro hit with one arm free, which was allowable.

Phil Dwyer is said to have wagered $2,000 on Creedon with O'Rourke, which seems questionable.

Creedon Started Cautiously.

Creedon showed his utmost caution in the first round, and kept well out of danger. Walcott bored in with his usual vigor, but failed to do any damage.

Creedon surprised the spectators in the second by giving Walcott as hard a punching as the negro has received since he was trimmed by "Kid" Lavigne. Creedon sent a straight left to the face, and a right to the body with telling effect.

Walcott was sent in to rush matters in the third, and he landed a right that puffed the Australian's left eye, also getting in a jab that cut Creedon's mouth.

Creedon seemed tired at the beginning of the fourth, but he fought hard, although getting some damaging body blows, and one righthander on the face that did him no good.

Walcott was also the aggressor in the fifth, and while he had the better of the early part of the round, Creedon rallied towards the close and landed a right on the jaw that made the negro see stars.

The sixth round was tame, Creedon playing for wind, and holding Walcott safely off.

Walcott landed several lefthanders on Creedon's neck in the seventh, but without much effect, the Australian appearing to grow more confident.

Creedon Drew Blood.

Creedon brought blood to Wolcott's mouth in the eighth with a series of left jabs. The negro was still very aggressive and forced the pace.

The ninth was a hot one, Wolcott setting a fast pace. He got to the body and face with frequency, and Creedon fought back viciously, getting in a number of hard wallops.

Creedon was apparently in distress in the tenth, and was pounded hard from start to finish.

The Australian improved some in the eleventh, and he also got through the twelfth in fairly good style, but the thirteenth was unlucky for the Australian, who got peppered hard on the jaw.

Creedon was very tired in the fourteenth, and while he sent one good right to the jaw, he got a varied assortment of discouraging punches.

The Australian showed surprisingly strong in the fifteenth, and he landed one right hook on the jaw that temporarily checked the negro's rushes.

Creedon seemed to have gotten his second wind in the sixteenth, and he also did well in the seventeenth, although Wolcott outpointed him. The Australian was a punching bag in the eighteenth, and was in bad shape at the close.

Creedon's face was a spectacle in the nineteenth, nose, lips and eyes being puffed, but he fought courageously, as he did again in the twentieth and last round. Referee White's decision went to Wolcott, who had won from start to finish.

Tim Hurley's Brief Amusement.

Tim Hurley, of Susquehanna, Pa., had a most enjoyable time for one round, thumping Harry Fischer, of Brooklyn. TOm liked the sport so well that he started to repeat in the second. Fischer began to retaliate and before the round ended Hurley had twice measured his length on the ring floor. He was saved by the bell. In the third round Hurley was floored twice more, and the second time was counted out, although not unconscious.

1899-06-24 The New York Herald (New York, NY) (page 10)
Colored Demon Given the Decision After Twenty Rounds of Vicious Fighting
Australian Surprised His Friends by Staying the Limit and Giving Blow for Blow.
For the second time during their careers as pugilists "Joe" Walcott defeated "Dan" Creedon, at the Broadway Athletic Club, last night. At their first meeting Walcott put the Australian to sleep in almost record breaking time, but last night the colored boy only won out on points. Creedon fought a very plucky battle and made Walcott work hard to secure the winner's share of the purse. The Australian used good generalship, but at no time during the battle could his hitting power compare with Walcott's. Creedon received a terrible thumping. The crowd was with the white man, and several times remonstrated with the referee for allowing the negro to use unfair methods.

Creedon was given an ovation when he entered the ring. It was evident that the sympathies of the crowd were with him. The Australian stripped for action trained to the hour. Walcott also looked well. Creedon was seconded by "Kid" Lavigne, "Sam" Fitzpatrick and "Bennie" Murphy. Walcott's advisers were "Tom" O'Rourke and "Bob" Armstrong. It was announced that Creedon weighed 159 pounds and Walcott 141 pounds.


Both men smiled when they shook hands. Walcott sent the left lightly to the jaw. He rushed again and landed with the left on the body, and received a right hand counter on the jaw in return. Then Creedon jabbed the colored boy hard with the left heavily on the nose and followed with a right on the jaw that shook Walcott up. O'Rourke protested against the length of the round, claiming it was over three minutes.

Creedon was the aggressor in the second round, landing the left on the body. He followed this with a right on the jaw, and received a left hand swing on the jaw that staggered him. Creedon kept forcing the fighting, and outpointed Walcott, sending "Joe's" head back again and again with straight left hand jabs.

Creedon cut out the pace in the third round, scoring with the left, jab fashion, on the mouth. They clinched, and on the breakaway Creedon scored heavily with the right over the heart, and received a hard left hand smash in the jaw in return. After that Walcott was the aggressor.

In the fourth round honors were rather easy, both scoring effectively. Once Creedon swung hard on "Joe's" jaw, making the latter stagger.

Walcott appeared fresher and more confident than his adversary in the fifth, but during the closing moments of the round the Australian took quite a brace, and elicited applause by landing twice heavily with the left on the jaw and once with the right on the body.

Creedon was the first to show up in the sixth. They were both rather tired, and as a consequence the round was tame, as compared with the preceding one. In the seventh Creedon came up quite strong. Both rushed and tried to land with lefts, but fell short. Then Creedon landed a terrific left on the jaw, staggering his man. He quickly followed with another on the same point, causing Walcott to carom toward the ropes. Encouraged by his success Creedon tried to score again with the left, but miscalculated the distance, and Walcott smashed him hard on his damaged optic. As the bell rang Creedon scored heavily with the right on the jaw.

Creedon was weak in the eighth round. On the other hand, Walcott was all over his man hard. The fighting in the ninth was very spirited, with honors easy.

Many spirited exchanges were had in the tenth, with Walcott showing the better work. Each drew blood from the nose with left handers. Walcott was easily the better man in the eleventh round, outpointing Creedon almost at will, but failing to score a knockout, although he tried hard to do so. The colored boy inflicted a hard body thumping to Creedon in the twelfth and had the Australian distressed when the round closed.

In the thirteenth round Walcott cut Creedon's nose badly and had the Australian very tired, but could not finish him. Creedon only landed one hard blow. It was the same thing over in the fourteenth. Creedon made a better showing in the fifteenth, scoring several times with the left on the body and jaw.

The sixteenth round saw Creedon entirely on the defensive and Walcott again thumping him vigorously on face and body. The seventeenth opened with a sharp rally at short range, during which each man scored good blows. But after that Walcott did all the leading. Once he fell while chasing Creedon around the ring trying to accomplish a knockout. Creedon made quite a flash in the eighteenth, but it was only for a moment, and then Walcott pounded him unmercifully.

The nineteenth round worked the enthusiasm of the spectators up to a high pitch. Creedon was aggressive for a time and scored many good blows, but Walcott offset this advantage later by inflicting hard punishment to his plucky opponent. Creedon's face was covered with blood and bruises when the round ended. In the twentieth Walcott again demonstrated his superiority, although Creedon exchanged blows pretty well several times. The referee declared Walcott the winner on points.

1899-06-24 The New York Times (New York, NY) (page 8)
The Colored Boxer Wins the Right to Challenge "Kid" McCoy.

Joe Walcott, the colored boxer from Barbados, and Dan Creedon of Australia fought twenty savage rounds at the Broadway Athletic Club last night to decide which of the pair should have the right to challenge Kid McCoy. Walcott won the decision awarded by Referee Johnny White fairly, but he had a harder task before him than when he met Creedon at the Lenox Athletic Club some months ago. On that occasion he knocked him out in one punch, but last night Creedon was with the colored boxer from start to finish and surprised the audience by putting up a much better fight than he was thought capable of.

Creedon weighed 159 pounds and Walcott 142, but the latter is a compact mass of muscle, while Creedon is of much larger frame and not so quick in his movements. The fighting was all Walcott's from the beginning, his opponent being almost always on the defensive. Some hard right-hand swings were sent by Creedon to Walcott's jaw, but none of them even dazed the colored man. On the other hand, Creedon's face and body were a veritable punching bag for his ebony-hued opponent, and at the call of time in the twentieth round Creedon's face was a mass of bruises. The men agreed to box with clean breakaways, but several times Walcott transgressed the rule.

Tom O'Rourke, who was in Walcott's corner, was hooted and hissed by the crowd and reminded by cat-calls of the Morrissey-Maher fiasco at the Lenox Athletic Club on Tuesday night.

1899-06-24 The Sun (New York, NY) (page 5)
The Boston Pugilist Does the Bulk of the Work and Earns the Decision--The Australian Receives a Hard Beating with Gameness--Harry Fisher Defeats Hurley.

A couple of months ago Dan Creedon of Australia was knocked out by Joe Walcott of Boston in less than one round at the Lenox A. C. Last night at the Broadway A. C. Creedon stayed the limit of twenty rounds, although he was outpointed and got a hard walloping. The men fought with an agreement to break clean, but in all other respects to battle under Marquis of Queensberry rules. In several instances Walcott was hooted by the crowd, which packed the building, because he used a free hand in the clinches, but he did not break the rules. Creedon fought with care and improved skill, but he was slower than his lighter antagonist, who did all the aggressive work, and in several rounds landed four blows to one by the Australian.

Tim Hurley of Susquehanna and Harry Fisher of Brooklyn met in the preliminary bout of ten rounds at 158 pounds. Hurley was the pace setter in the first round, but Fisher was as strong as a bull. In the second round he slugged Hurley to the floor three times, the latter being saved by the bell. In the third round Fisher bored in with wicked swings, which soon beat Hurley into a helpless condition. He could not get up after ten seconds had been counted, and Fisher was declared the winner. The time of the round was 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

The betting was 2½ to 1 on Walcott, with very little Creedon money floating around. When the Australian got into the ring he was loudly applauded. He was accompanied by Sam Fitzpatrick, Kid Lavigne and Benny Murphy. Walcott's seconds were Tom O'Rourke, Bob Armstrong and Kid Broad. The conditions were twenty rounds at catchweights. Creedon weighed 160 pounds and Walcott 143 pounds. John White was the referee. Before the fight began "Mysterious" Billy Smith was introduced, with the announcement that he would positively box McKeever at this club on next Friday night.

The crowd was clearly in sympathy with Creedon. As soon as the gong sounded Walcott began to cut out the pace. He got a left to the neck, but Creedon was careful not to let the colored man get too close. Creedon, at long range, landed a couple of stiff lefts on the mouth and then blocked a series of swings. Before the round ended by fifteen seconds O'Rourke said that time was up, but Considine, the official timer, said "No."

Creedon continued to fight at long range in the second round, although Walcott was on top of him with vicious blows. Creedon finally got in several sharp lefts to the head and a couple of rights to the body, which set the crowd wild. He kept up this fine work to the bell. Creedon shot a hot left into Walcott's face as the third round began, whereupon Joe rushed and swung viciously for the head. Dan blocked nearly all the blows, but Walcott kept coming until he reached the Australian's neck with a hard wallop. Joe soon brought the blood from the mouth and fought so vigorously that Creedon was on the defensive when time was up.

Creedon was puffing when he came up for the fourth round. As Walcott rushed he received a heavy right in the body, but Joe never faltered and kept up his fierce attack. A right-hander raised a lump under Creedon's left eye, but he quickly sent his right to the jaw with enough force to make Joe stop a moment. After that Walcott hustled, but the Australian kept well away. Walcott did some hitting in the clinches in the fifth round, and the crowd yelled "Foul!" Creedon worked his left in the face, but Walcott stuck to him and ripped in the smashes incessantly. Creedon landed a couple of staggering right-handers, one of them on the breakaway, but Joe was powerful enough to take them and continue his boring tactics.

Walcott opened the sixth round with a rush, as usual. He landed a couple of lefts on the mouth, Creedon paying some attention to his stomach. Creedon was slow on his feet and did not put the force into the blows like his opponent. In the seventh round Walcott ran into a straight left. Creedon then sent a great right over to the neck and Walcott backed to the ropes. He came right back, however, and whipped his left solidly to the cheek bone. Creedon's right eye was slightly cut when he went to his corner. Walcott's attack in the eighth round was even more vigorous than before. Creedon met him with well-placed lefts, which made Joe bleed at the mouth a bit. Creedon was solely on the defensive in the last minute and did some effective blocking.

Walcott landed terrific punches on the head in the ninth round, but Creedon mixed it and practically held his own. The Australian was forced to fight, as Walcott hustled and swung at him with relentless energy. Walcott's nose was bleeding in the tenth round, but he resumed his onslaught without delay. He made Creedon stagger with a couple of heavy wallops on the jaw and also brought the blood from Dan's nose. Creedon was in trouble at the end. Because of his slowness Dan lost two fine opportunities in the eleventh round to inflict damage when Walcott was in the act of losing his balance in getting away. Walcott did the leading until he was straightened up with a left jolt on the chin. Creedon was on the defensive all through the twelfth round. Walcott was hissed and hooted because he continued to hit in the clinches. The crowd was ordered to keep quiet, whereupon there was another outburst.

Creedon met his man with sharp lefts in the thirteenth round, but the blows were not heavy enough to keep the colored pugilist off. Walcott did all the leading and the Australian received a pretty severe beating. Two heavy blows on Creedon's face made his nose bleed again in the fourteenth round. Walcott went at him like a tiger after that and the Australian was in visible distress. His case appeared to be hopeless, especially as Walcott hit him almost at will all through the round. Walcott tried to finish his job in the fifteenth round, but Creedon was still strong, and with several great counters he stood Joe off to the gong. One of Dan's blows evidently hurt Walcott, but the former was too tired to follow it up. Creedon's face was badly puffed and bruised when the sixteenth round began, and Walcott proceeded to punch it with regularity. Creedon did very little fighting, except in the way of countering and clinching.

The crowd did more howling in the seventeenth round because Walcott hit in the clinches. The latter chased his man around the ring until he slipped down of his own accord, the crowd yelling with delight. Creedon finally stood his ground and staggered Joe with a swing on the head.

Creedon was nothing more than a punching bag in the eighteenth round. He received an awful thumping, but was game. Walcott worked like a beaver in the nineteenth round, but Creedon had plenty of fight in him, and with a great brace he made the colored man get away in the last half minute. The crowd hooted Walcott again for his free hand work, and also because he landed a couple of blows on the breakaway.

In the last round Creedon braced up and gave blow for blow. It was a red-hot finish and the crowd was wild with excitement. Walcott got the decision, to which he was justly entitled, but half of the crowd yelled in disapproval. Mindful of the Morrissey-Maher fiasco, the crowd had fun at O'Rourke's expense at different periods by yelling, "How about Morrissey?" O'Rourke only laughed.

1899-06-24 The World (New York, NY) (page 3)
Could Not Put Him Out, but Had Him Bested from the Beginning of the Second Round.
Tried to the Last to Land a Knockout, Knowing It Was His Only Chance to Win.
Joe Walcott, the pugilistic freak from the Barbadoes, beat Dan Creedon at the Broadway A. C. last night before an enthusiastic, howling crowd of Creedon followers.

At no time during the twenty rounds of fighting did Creedon look like a winner, but on several occasions the negro had him going. Walcott could not knock him out, and the old Australian stood the beating well and was game to the end.

Creedon was greeted with vociferous applause when he entered the ring, followed by Kid Lavigne. The crowd cheered him again and again as he sat in his corner waiting for Walcott to appear. When the negro came and stripped he seemed a dwarf beside the big-chested Creedon and weighed seventeen pounds less. At the beginning of the first round Creedon was cautious and sparred carefully. He dreaded the awful punch that layed him out in the first round of their last fight at the Lenox Club. As the negro came in, with both arms flying about his head, Dan stepped nimbly aside and skipped around the ring. He stood his ground in the second and stood Joe off with straight rights and lefts. The negro smiled at the punches and continued to bore in, only to be sent back each time with a left. After a few rounds Creedon began to tire, and in the seventh Walcott cut his eye and bled his nose. A moment or two later Dan brought the blood from Joe's mouth with a right-hand punch, and the crowd whooped and yelled.

Walcott tried a dozen times to get his right over on the jaw while clinched, but Creedon's shoulder or glove was always in the way. At each blow that the negro struck in the clinches the crowd groaned, hissed and cried foul. There were no fouls committed, however, and every blow that either struck was perfectly fair.

In the eleventh round, as the negro rushed in, Dan swung an uppercut that caught Joe fairly on the chin. It dazed him and took more steam out of him than all the blows delivered during the fight. That punch lost its effect in a few minutes and the little negro began his rushing tactics again, always fighting at close quarters and wearing Creedon out with jabs and short swings on the jaw. Occasionally by a desperate effort, Dan would land a good one, but they were too far apart to help him.

In the last two rounds Joe landed on the face hard and often. Creedon was bleeding at eye, mouth and nose, while Walcott was comparatively fresh and unmarked. Amid the hisses and groans of the Creedon followers, who knew what the decision should be, the referee gave the fight to Walcott.

Harry Fisher, of Brooklyn, knocked out Tim Hurley, of Susquehanna, Pa., after three rounds of fierce fighting in the preliminary. Hurley knocked Fisher about as he chose in the first round, but in the second Harry knocked him down three times and in the third three times more. On the last down he was counted out.

1899-07-15 The National Police Gazette (New York, NY) (page 10)
But Walcott Bested Him and Earned the Decision.
Hard Fighting, in Which the Colored Chap Was Always the Aggressor.
"Dan" Creedon's career as a pugilist seems to have passed beyond the period of usefulness. In his fight with "Joe" Walcott at the Broadway Athletic Club on June 23, he demonstrated that the quality of gameness was not lacking, but in every other essential qualification in fistic ability there was an apparent deficiency. He seems to have lost all his old-time cleverness, he is less agile, his blows lack force and an almost total pugilistic disintegration has occurred. It was the second time he and Walcott met, the latter having put Creedon down in one round in the Lenox Club some weeks ago. Creedon claimed that he did not have time to get into his stride and asked for a return match. Creedon did far better than in their previous meeting and made Walcott fight his hardest to earn the decision at the end of twenty rounds. Walcott was a 2 to 1 favorite with the betting men. The decision was a good one, but many shouts of disapproval were heard from all parts of the house when the verdict was announced. Although Walcott at all times fought fair and within the rules, the crowd yelled "Foul!" every time the men came together and Creedon was getting the worst of it at close quarters.

The negro was the aggressor throughout the bout. Creedon put up the fight of his life. He could not beat the negro off, and several times it seemed that the end was in sight, so persistently did the latter keep crowding him, but a friendly bell always came to the rescue. Queensberry rules, with a clean break, was the way they agreed to box. Creedon came to the scratch with a sickly grin on his face, evidently having in mind that fearful punch that put him out of business in the Lenox Club. Both sparred carefully for a moment, and Walcott poked a left into the wind. He tried with a right at the same time, but Creedon was under him. A moment later Walcott came again, but met a crashing right to the heart. The crowd manifested its sympathy and let loose with full lung power for the white man. This only made Walcott smile and try again.

Creedon seemed surprised that he still was in the ring, and came up for the second round with more confidence. He did some leading and landed with such effect as to jar his opponent and get the crowd in good humor. Creedon also had the better of the third, using his right on the body and the left on the face with terrific force. Both men were willing in the fourth and came together with a crash, Creedon getting home with the right to the body and Walcott ripping over a right that barely missed. Creedon kept up his left hooks to the jaw, but it only made Walcott smile and display two rows of teeth that looked like vegetable dishes. Creedon went to his corner badly winded from the fast pace.

When the fifth opened Creedon essayed several leads, but fell all over himself in the attempts, and "Joe" had no trouble in getting out of the way. Walcott kept trying to reach the jaw with the right, but "Dan" kept that part of his anatomy well guarded. Creedon brightened up in the sixth and seventh. He pounded the colored boy in the body and shot the left to the face time and again, and gave the crowd another chance. Matters took a turn in the ninth, as Walcott got into action and had the Australian to the bad at the end of the round.

Again in the tenth it looked like a finish, but again the bell got in its friendly work for Creedon. Although badly winded, "Dan" fairly held his own in the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth, and in the fifteenth he put a corking right to the jaw that electrified the crowd. Walcott got into full action again in the sixteenth and seventeenth. In the latter round he landed a left fairly on the jaw that dazed Creedon and followed it with a right that did not improve the Australian's condition.

The last three rounds were full of fighting; Walcott always was after his man. Creedon fought back with desperation and saved himself by clever footwork when it became too hot for him. He managed to stay the limit, much to the surprise and satisfaction of the crowd.

A rattling give and take affair took place in the opening bout, between "Tim" Hurley of Susquehanna, Pa., and Harry Fisher of Brooklyn, middleweights. It was fast and furious in the first round, with Hurley the aggressor. Hurley tired in the second from the fast work, and Fisher began to locate the jaw with both hands. He put Hurley down three times, and had him all out at bell time. Hurley came up willing in the third, but he didn't have one chance in a hundred. The referee permitted it to go on, however, and Fisher was forced to complete the job, which he did in the third round.

No comments:

Post a Comment