Search this blog

Saturday, December 28, 2013

1914-12-28 Jack Britton ND10 Al Dewey [Peerless Athletic Club, Majestic Theatre, Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA]

1914-12-29 The Scranton Truth (Scranton, PA) (page 8)

WILKES-BARRE, Pa., Dec. 29.--Al Dewey, of Edwardsville, was completely outclassed by Jack Britton in a ten-round fight which went the limit here last night. Dewey was at the mercy of the New Yorker at all times and suffered severe punishment from an unerring left jab which landed many times in each round.

Dewey was wild. In the fifth round he steadied and again in the ninth but aside from these two flashes he did not worry his opponent. He landed only a few solid wallops.

Al Murphy, of the Tripp Park section of Scranton, gave a classy exhibition in his bout with Joe Peters, of this city. Peters was game and both had a punch. It went six rounds. Miles Moran, of Scranton, severely punished Pete Farrell, also of Scranton, and the bout was stopped in the fifth round by Referee Jack Gallagher. A large house attended the mills. Young Driscoll and Kid Brown, both of this city, drew in the prelim.

1914-12-29 The Tribune-Republican (Scranton, PA) (page 10)

WILKES-BARRE, Pa., Dec. 28.--Fifteen hundred fight fans saw Jack Britton, of New York, win from Al Dewey, of Edwardsville, tonight at the Luzerne theater. The bout went the scheduled ten rounds, but Britton won by a larger margin than when he tackled Dewey about a year ago in this city. The receipts amounted to about $1,500.

Dewey's only rounds were the fifth and ninth. In the fifth he caught Britton with a sharp left hook that staggered him while in the ninth he rallied again, rushing Britton all over the ring. Outside of those rounds Britton had everything his own way, his left hand meeting Dewey's jaw time after time. Neither boy scored a knockdown during the ten rounds.

In the preliminaries Al Murphy, of Scranton, won from Joe Peters, of this city, in six rounds, but in doing so hurt both his hands. In another prelim Miles Moran, of Scranton, stopped Pete Farrel, of Scranton, in the fifth round.

1914-12-29 Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader (Wilkes-Barre, PA) (page 13)
New Yorker is Too Clever for West Side Boy and Wins by Good Margin
Al Murphy Too Strong for Peters, Who is Very Game But Lacked Weight
Jack Britton of New York defeated Al Dewey in ten-round wind-up.
Al Murphy of Scranton won over Joe Peters in six rounds.
Miles Moran and Young Farrell of Scranton were so bad that bout was stopped in fifth.
Young Driscoll of East End defeated Young Brown of East End in six rounds.
Referee--John Gallagher.
Timekeeper--Elwood Smith.

Al Dewey, the pride of Northeastern Pennsylvania, was defeated last night at the Majestic Theatre by Jack Britton of New York, in their ten-round battle. The Gothamite carried off the honors in six of the ten rounds, taking the second, fourth, fifth, seventh, ninth and tenth rounds. Dewey made a good rally in the eighth and won by a shade, while the first, third and sixth were fairly even. The West Side boy didn't have a chance with Britton, who hit him at will.

Britton boxed all around Dewey, stepping around the ring and pecking away with left jabs until Al's face was red as a ripe tomato. Jack would vary the attack with an occasional right swing to the face, but the principal method of attack was a left jab, which landed with the nicety of a piston rod and with the force of a trip-hammer. This method of attack had a tendency toward slowing Dewey up, but he never stopped fighting for a second, and the 1,600 fans gave him credit for his earnest trial against Britton. But all those in attendance, who saw the battle between these boys last winter, claimed that Dewey didnot put up as good a battle as he did on their first meeting. But it might be remembered that at that time Britton was far from being a well man, while last night he was in the pink of condition.

Britton was out to score a decisive win and that is just what he did. While he didnot punish the local boy severely, he landed enough punches to the face and body to give him the decision by a good margin. Britton started to rough matters in the fourth round, hitting in the breakaway and apparently trying to get Al's goat. Referee Gallagher cautioned Britton, who claimed that Dewey was hanging on.

The first round was fairly even, with both boys sparring and feeling each other out. There were no blows of any consequence struck in this session. The second round was faster, with Britton starting to use his left hand to advantage. He sent it to Dewey's face hard and often, while Al played for the body, landing several light blows to the wind.

The third round was fairly even. Dewey landed several hard body blows, but Britton came back with a bundle of left jabs, which evened the going. The New Yorker took the fourth with east. He walloped Dewey with both hands to the face. Britton was very rough in this round, wrestling Dewey and hitting in the breakaway. The clever Britton also took the fifth, continuing to peck at Dewey's face with left jabs, causing the latter's map to take on a pinkish hue. But Al came back for more and continued to play for Britton's face and wind.

The sixth was fairly even. Dewey made Britton miss with right and left swings repeatedly and the crowd applauded Dewey and booed Britton. Britton continued to jab, while Dewey sent several hard rights to Britton's face. The seventh and eighth were all Britton's, who jabbed Dewey around the ring, there being hardly a return from the local boy. The ninth was different. Al got busy right from the start of the session and carried the fight to his opponent in a surprising manner. The latter roughed matters considerably, but Al stayed right with him. The tenth belonged to Britton, who forced the going in this session.

The first preliminary was between Young Driscoll and Young Brown, both of East End. Brown had height, weight and reach on Driscoll, but that made no difference to the little Scotchman, who gave Brown, the East End poet, a fine lacing. Young Farrell and Miles Moran, both of Scranton, were supposed to fight in the second preliminary, but they panhandled around for five rounds and then the referee stopped it. Joe Peters of East End was defeated by Al Murphy of Scranton in the semi-final. Murphy was too strong for the local boy and possessed the harder wallop.

No comments:

Post a Comment