Search this blog

Thursday, April 24, 2014

1898-05-11 Joe Gans W-RTD6 Steve Crosby [Kentucky Athletic Club, Music Hall, Louisville, KY, USA]

1898-05-12 The Courier-Journal (Louisville, KY) (page 7)
The Baltimore Light-weight Played For Crosby's Stomach With marked Effect.
Steve Crosby, local colored light-weight, received an awful punching at Music Hall last night at the hands of Joe Gans, Al. Herford's crack Baltimore light-weight. At the end of the sixth round Crosby's seconds threw up the sponge. He would have been knocked out in the next round or soon after that.

In the fourth round Crosby led for Gans' stomach. Joe crossed over with his right, landing a terrific blow back of Steve's ear. Crosby's knees bent inward, and a few seconds later he toppled to the floor. He remained down five seconds. This was the beginning of the end. By a series of clinches and mix-ups Crosby staved off a knockout until the gong sounded, and when the fifth began he had recovered considerably. But Gans found no trouble in landing, and Crosby went down to his knees several times more. Upon regaining his feet he rushed Gans gamely, and his work brought forth repeated cheering from the crowd.

All this time, however, Gans was planting hard left jabs over Crosby's heart, and in the mix-ups he would land right swings on the Louisville boy's jaw or ear. It was clear to all that Steve was outclassed. He landed a corking left on the jaw in the second round, which took a little of Gans' steam away, but otherwise Gans was not hurt.

Gans is one of the best boxers who have been here. He is very clever, careful and cool and showed that he is a very stiff puncher. He punished Crosby a good deal. It was Crosby's first try against a top-notcher, and will probably do him good. He was never punched that way before.

The Kentucky Athletic Club deserves credit for the class of attractions it is putting on and all who go to Music Hall get a "run for their money." In last night's preliminary the referee stopped the contest between Jim Janey and Jim Brewster in the first round because Brewster was clearly outclassed, and the Kentucky Athletic Club did not want to give an exhibition that savored at all of the brutal. The cards of this club up to date have been all that was expected of them, and though last night's principal contest was one-sided the spectators got a "run for their money."

Gans entered the ring at 9:45 o'clock. He was followed by Jim Janey and Jack McCabe and his manager, Al Herford, of Baltimore. Crosby came on a few minutes later. His seconds were Jim Watts, Fountain Barnett and Will Foster. It was announced that the boys would box twenty rounds for a decision. The young amateur athlete who officiated at the Watts-Lansing contest of the night before was selected to referee the bout.

Gans weighed 136 pounds, while Crosby weighed 132. Gans is a genuine chocolate, while Crosby is coal black. They agreed to break clean. Time was called at 9:45 o'clock.

Round 1--Gans led with his left for the stomach, but fell short. He landed lightly with his left. Steve jabbed Joe in the mouth. Gans jabbed him a couple of light ones in the stomach. They mixed it up toward the close, but no damage was done.

Round 2--Gans jabbed his left in stomach. Steve landed a good left in the face and came back with a left and right, and right again. Gans jabbed a left in face and Steve fell short with good left lead. Gans jabbed his left in stomach, and caught Steve on the jaw a moment later with left hook. Steve landed good left on the pit of the face. Gans placed his left in stomach and Steve countered on the body with his right.

Round 3--Steve came up smiling. Joe jabbed him in the stomach. Gans upper cut Steve with a left. They exchanged left jabs. Steve landed his right on the body. They exchanged jabs. Joe jabbed Steve half a dozen times in the stomach. He followed it up with a right and left on the face. This was Gans' round. He was very clever. His play was to find Crosby's heart with straight lefts, and he succeeded admirably, landing at least half a dozen in this round.

Round 4--Gans kept jabbing Steve in the stomach. Steve landed a stiff right on the ribs, and also got in a hard left swing on the head. Gans knocked Steve down With a right swing on the jaw. Crosby was clearly groggy. He got up looking dazed, but had his wits partly collected by the time Gans got to him, and succeeded in keeping him off until the gong sounded.

Round 5--Steve came up refreshed. Gans jabbed him with his left. He landed a stiff right on the body. Both blocked swings. Steve got in two rights, one on the body and one on the head. Gans landed a left on the body. They exchanged lefts. Gans put a right on the body. He continued at this work, and when Steve landed on the stomach Gans countered with his right. Gans got in a right swing on the head. This was a fast round.

Round 6--Gans started with the same tactics--jabbing on the stomach. Steve landed a left on the stomach and Gans countered on the jaw with his left. Gans knocked Crosby to his knees with a right swing on the ear. He tried for a knockout, landing right and left, but Steve was in every rally and fought back good and game. He was slightly unsteady on his pins when he went to his corner, but was far from being done for. His seconds threw up the sponge before the gong sounded for the seventh round to begin. All saw that Crosby had no earthly chance to win, and was simply acting as a chopping block for Gans.

The first bout was between Jim Janey, of Washington, and Jim Brewster, of Terre Haute, Ind. They were scheduled for ten rounds at catch weights. Janey weighed about 160 pounds, while Brewster tipped the beam at 158. In Janey's corner were Al Herford and Jack McCabe, both of Baltimore. Brewster's seconds were George Green and Tom Hahn, of Cincinnati. Brewster had the advantage in height and reach, but Janey was built like a brick house. They fiddled for a moment. Brewster led with his left, but Janey blocked it. Janey led with his right, and caught Brewster an awful swing with his left, flooring the Indiana boxer. He remained down seven seconds. Janey started in to finish his man, and the referee interfered, stopping the contest. He gave the fight to Janey, amid cheers.

Brewster was clearly outclassed, and had the contest gone on an accident might have resulted.

Herford issued a sweeping challenge to Watts or anybody else in the city at catch weights or 145 pounds, if they desired a weight limit.

Al Cook announced to the crowd that the physician had stated that Brewster was not in good physical condition, and that he had refused to give his sanction for the bout to proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment