Search this blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

1904-12-26 Young Peter Jackson D-PTS15 Dixie Kid [Eureka Athletic Club, Germania Maennerchor Hall, Baltimore, MD, USA]

1904-12-27 Baltimore American (Baltimore, MD) (page 7)
Conqueror of the English Pugs Didn't Put on Steam and the Man Whose Name Savors of the Southland Trotted the Course and Made It a Draw--A Little Rough-house at the Start, After Which There Was Nothing Doing--Butte Man's Poor Showing.
Filled with the good will that makes Christmas the most joyous of festivals, Young Peter Jackson permitted the Dixie Kid to go 15 rounds to a draw yesterday afternoon before the members of the Eureka Athletic Club at Germania Maennerchor Hall. It was apparent to the old stagers among the spectators that Jackson had no vicious designs against his opponent, and that for him to go the limit was mutually satisfactory.

Jackson had returned from an all-conquering trip to England, and it was figured that the Dixie Kid would be an easy mark. This impression and the Christmas cheer on the outside caused the hall to be lacking the huge crowd that generally turn out to the bouts of the Eureka Club.

Both men seemed in good condition, but Jackson had the better of the weight, and when they stepped into the center of the ring the appearance of the men strengthened the belief that it would be a short horse soon curried. There was a delay while the men and their henchmen quarreled over the question as to whether it should be a clean break or protect yourself in the break, the Dixie Kid crowd holding out for the clean break. This point once conceded by the Jackson crowd, and the men got busy. In the first round Jackson was credited with trying out his man, but in the second he went to work, and in the old-school Jacksonian way put down the Kid for the count of nine with a shower of rights and lefts and shoved him through the ropes.

Roughed in the Third.

That was the only flash of real Peter Jackson fighting in the whole bout. In the third round the men roughed it, but Jackson did not put into his work all the power of which he is capable. From the third round on Jackson was sleigh-riding. He made it up to the Kid to do most of the leading, which he did, but the results were as though he had tapped with his fists the well-nigh impregnable defenses of Port Arthur. For reasons best known to himself, Jackson did not go about it as though he were in earnest, while the Kid undoubtedly sent out the best he had in the shop.

Some good solid body wallops were landed on Jackson, and the crowd whooped its glee, for it will ever be popular for the under dog to get in good licks. In the fourth round the Kid's nose bled slightly, and after the sixth round he frequently vomited while in his corner. In the clinches Jackson pounded on the Kid's kidneys, but did not even do that with his well-known power, else this would have been a different tale. In the fourteenth and fifteenth rounds the Kid went his best. He put it on Jackson and caused him to tin-can around the ring, and once shoved him over the ropes--a thing rarely done to Jackson, and which probably would not have been done had Jackson been really in earnest.

'Twas Herford's Joke.

Among the bunch of Dixie Kid's seconds the pretty little story about the Kid's wedding to follow the battle was shattered by the statement that the Kid is already married, which goes to again prove that the Eureka Athletic Club and its managers are not good tutors in the school of veracity, and that editors would be wise to take a huge grain of salt, whatever they may see fit to say about a fighter.

The Dixie Kid was seconded by his manager, Denny Murray; Eddie Haney, Billy Reynolds and Pete Schwartz--a scrappy bunch that gave Referee Jim O'Hara so much trouble that Deputy Marshal Manning was forced to interfere for the sake of that peace and good order which are the boast of the management of the club.

Jackson was seconded by Al Herford, Joe Gans, Harry Lyons and Rag Watkins.

About the Prelims.

The preliminaries were unusually dull. Charles Borax and Young Mitchell went a prosaic three-round draw. Young Buck Washington defeated Little Dick in three rounds. Jim Langley, of West Point, and Kid O'Brien did a three-round whirl, and Matty Knox, of Sandy Bottom, won in three rounds from Jim McGrath. The funniest of the preliminaries was between Young Munroe, who claims Butte, Mont., as his hailing port, and Kid Brown, of Buxton. Munroe had an idea that he was a fighter and began full of ginger, but a punch from Brown put him down to take the count and ruminate on the folly of mundane things. After that Munroe was slower and wiser and lasted through the three rounds, although Brown was given the decision.

It was announced that Larry Temple and Young Peter Jackson will meet next Monday afternoon.

During the ceremonies Manager Al Herford was presented a diamond stud in a neat speech by Dr. H. Lee Clarke, the stud being the gift from some of the enthusiastic members of the club.

1904-12-27 The Sun (Baltimore, MD) (page 9)
Young Peter Jackson And Dixie Kid Get This Verdict.
Baltimore Boxer Excelled At Close Range And The Other At Long-Arm Fighting--No Wedding.

Young Peter Jackson and the Dixie Kid, colored welterweights, fought at 15-round draw yesterday afternoon before the Eureka Athletic Club, at Germania Maennerchor Hall.

After the fighters had entered the ring President Al Herford, of the club, was given a beautiful diamond ring as a Christmas present. The present had been purchased with money subscribed by the club members.

The Dixie Kid proved to be a good, clever, two-handed man. At long range he was able to reach Jackson and successfully outfight him. In close work Jackson was the master. In the clinches he landed many good blows on the body over the kidneys.

It had been announced that the Dixie Kid was to be married a few hours after the set-to. Mr. Maurice J. Herford, secretary of the Eureka Club, later stated that the contemplated marriage ceremony could not be performed, as license clerks of the court were keeping holiday and could not be located.

The fight between the Dixie Kid and Jackson was one on which no one could lose money had they bet on a winner or a knockout.

In the course of the entire 15 rounds Jackson hit the Kid, and the Kid hit Jackson time and again on such points as looked as if the blows should result in a knockout. Both men, however, were strong at the finish and showed but little results from their endeavor.

It had been stated that Jackson since his return from a successful fighting tour in England, would show that he had changed his style and would box more openly. He proved this assertion in a few rounds, but then went back to his crouch and close-cover style.

The Kid was a shifty negro and was game. He proved that he could, with right or left, reach Jackson so long as Peter would stand up and fight. At infighting the Dixie Kid was not so good a punisher, but was nevertheless clever.

Not much was done in the first round. In the second Jackson sent the Kid through the ropes and hit him often about the face and body in the clinches. The blows of each lacked force. It then looked, as it did to the finish, as if one or the other would win on points, since each lacked force in hitting.

Clinches, mixes and ineffectual short arm work marked the remainder of the fight. In clinches Jackson got in the fast blows invariably. When the fifteenth round was ended and the decision of a draw was given by Referee James O'Hara there was no dissent, as both men were in shape to continue, and the Kid could have had no excuse because of any punishment inflicted by Jackson to postpone his contemplated marriage.

Dixie Kid's seconds were Dan Murray, Billy Reynolds and Edward Harvey. Jackson was cared for by Al Herford, Joe Gans, Kid Sullivan and Harry Lyons.

Before the preliminaries started, Manager Al Herford had his troubles. All the boxers, led by Kid Reason, went on a strike, wanting more money. Some joker said that Reason had enough reasons to bear out the fact that he was not misnamed. "Mistah Herford," he said, "dis here is Christmas and we wants more money. Times is hard, money tight and chickens is high, and if we don't get more money, there ain't nuthin' doin'." After a long argument the strikers decided that their "frenzied finance" argument did not go and gave in to the management.

Referee Sweigert called a draw the first bout of three rounds between Charles Borax and Young Mitchell. The decision met approval, though Mitchell had done the better fighting.

Young Buck Washington and Little Dick, both colored, gave three rounds of good fighting.

Kid O'Brien and James Langley went three rounds of hard slugging, both boys bleeding and being tired at the end, the referee giving a draw.

Matty Knox received the decision over James McGrath after three rounds.

Kid Brown and Young Monroe, both colored, made a fair showing, and Brown won the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment