Search this blog

Sunday, December 25, 2011

1905-12-25 Sam Langford L-TKO8 Joe Jeannette [Unity Cycle and Athletic Club, Lawrence, MA, USA]

1905-12-26 The Boston Herald (Boston, MA) (page 9)
Cambridge Boxer's Seconds Throw up the Sponge When Joe Jeanette Beats Him Badly.

[Special Dispatch to the Boston Herald.]

LAWRENCE, Dec. 25, 1905. Joe Jeanette of New York made Sam Langford of Cambridge quit after eight rounds of fierce and fast fighting here tonight. Jeanette had the punch and the strength, and with fierce body blows wore down Langford. In the fifth round Langford looked like a winner. He beat the New Yorker until it looked as though the latter was going to take the count. The minute's rest did him a great deal of good, and Jeanette, although a badly worsted man, followed up the fighting, and at the finish the referee had a hard time to make Langford break. In the seventh Jeanette recovered his strength, and was willing to swop punches with the clever man from Cambridge. In the eighth he opened a gash on Langford's eye that sent the blood streaming down his face, and Langford appealed to the referee for an even break. Jeanette was not, however, to be denied, and he went after Langford in such hard fashion that he sent him groggy to his chair, and the latter nodded to his seconds to throw up the sponge, admitting he was outclassed.

1905-12-26 The Boston Journal (Boston, MA) (page 5)
Jeannette Made Sam Langford Quit In Seven
After the First Round It Was Clearly the New York Boxer's Battle--Bostonian Took Much Punishment.
Lawrence, Dec. 25.--The members of the Unity Cycle Club of this city today witnessed the waterloo of Sam Langford, the dusky welterweight from Boston, when he was forced to throw up the sponge in the seventh round before the wicked blows of Joe Jeannette of New York.

In the first round both boys started in to feel each other out and after a few hard exchanges, Langford looked as if he was up against it and seemed to lose all his courage. In the second round Jeannette shot out of his corner with fire in his eye and stung Langford with three successive rights and lefts to the jaw and one going to the left eye, which closed that optic, worrying Langford very much.

In the fourth round Langford shot up a wicked left uppercut, which made Jeannette wince and he started to hang on, but the men were quickly broken by the referee. In the seventh Jeannette tore in some terrific body punches that weakened Langford and following up with terrific rights and lefts had him hanging on when the round ended. When Langford went to his corner he was covered with blood and had both eyes closed and a big cut down the left side of his cheek. Blood was flowing in large streams and he was too weak to go on with the next round and his seconds threw up the sponge.

The preliminaries were hard fought. The first was won by Young Hamel, who defeated Young Sharkey in six rounds, both of this city. The second was stopped in the fourth, when Young Chisholme of Everett stopped Johnny Mahon of Cambridge.

The semi-final between Kid Sheehan of Manchester and Charles Dwyer ended in a draw after six rounds of clever fighting on the part of Sheehan.

1905-12-26 The Evening Times (Pawtucket, RI) (page 2)
LAWRENCE, Dec. 26.--Scarcely able to see, Sam Langford of Boston gave up after the eighth round in what was to have been a 12-round bout with Joe Jeanette of New York before the Unity Cycle and Athletic Club yesterday afternoon.

Langford showed evidence of the gameness which has placed him out of the class of men of his weight, but Jeannette was by no means lacking in that respect and he had the advantage of about 20 pounds in weight. This proved too great a handicap for the Boston lad, but he hung on tenaciously until his physical condition would no longer permit of his continuing.

Once he sent Jeannette to the floor for the count with a hard uppercut. Langford was clever in ducking and blocking and put it over Jeannette in infighting, but Joe was up and coming all the time and his blows were delivered with effect.

Jeannette's superiority began to manifest itself early in the fifth round. He landed twice on Langford's eye in the next round and a right hook on the jaw sent the latter to the ropes, Jeannette following with the right and left to the head.

Things were all Jeanette's way in the eighth, and after its close Langford's seconds threw up the sponge.

There were three preliminaries. Young Hamel got the decision over Young Sharkey of this city. Chisholm of Everett and Mahar of Cambridge had sparred three rounds when the latter said his hand had been injured and refused to continue. Sheehan of Manchester, N. H., and Dwyer of Cambridge went six rounds to a draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment