Search this blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

1904-02-27 Abe Attell ND6 Young Erne [National Athletic Club, Philadelphia, PA, USA]

1904-02-28 The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) (page 14)
Young Erne Put Up a Great Bout With the Featherweight Champion
Monster Crowd Turns Out at the A. C. and Sees Some of the Finest Milling Ever
Young Erne gave Abe Attel, the champion featherweight of the world, a grand fight in the wind-up of the all-star show last night at the National Athletic Club. It was a corking good bout, as were all the others on the program. Attel displayed the generalship, and while the local boy was always after him the 'Frisco lad had rather the better of the going, landing in the last three rounds both rights and lefts to body and face.

It was a great crowd that gathered to see a great lot of fighters. All who journeyed to the hall could not be accommodated, and about as many persons were turned away as were admitted to the hall.

The festivities began with a bout between Kid McLaughlin, of this city, and Kid Murphy, the 105-pound champion of New York. It was the tamest fight of the night. McLaughlin would have been entitled to the decision.

The bout between Johnny Allen and Kid Henning, of Washington, was a fast and furious one. At the end of the third round Murphy quit, claiming that he was sick.

Phil Logan was outclassed by Chester Goodwin, of Boston, in every way. The visitor had height, weight and reach. In the fourth round Logan's seconds threw up the sponge.

Had Hughey Murphy, who has fought two battles with Young Corbett, been in better condition, there is no telling what he might have done to Billy Willis. As it was, Willis had none the better of the bout that went the limit.

The bout between Jimmy Briggs and Jack O'Neil was a No. 1, viewed from every angle. There was lots of action. If there was any choice it would have been in favor of Briggs, who finished in rather better condition than did O'Neil.

1904-02-28 The Philadelphia Record (Philadelphia, PA) (page 16)
Abe Attel Bested in Contest With Young Erne.
Jack O'Neill Giving Bostonian All He Could Attend to--Willis Almost Put Out Hughey Murphy. Henning Quits.
Jimmy Briggs, of Boston, stacked up against a Tartar in Jack O'Neill, and for five rounds the Bostonian had a little more than he could readily attend to. His well known aggressiveness availed him little, as Jack invariably met him with a stiff left-hand jab in the mouth that sent Jimmy's head back. Briggs did his best work in the clinches, getting in short right-hand uppercuts to O'Neill's chin. In the sixth round Briggs kept Jack on the run, and got in several heavy punches that weakened O'Neill, and Briggs was the strongest at the finish.

In a terrific contest Chester Goodman, of Boston, proved to be too much for Phil Logan, and the referee stopped the bout in the fourth round to save the local boy from an almost certain knockout. Logan gave a great display of grit and gameness and took his medicine like a Trojan. Two knock-downs in the first round seemed to take the heart out of Phil. Logan, instead of taking the full count got up each time before the count of six. He had not fully recovered from the effects of the blows and only managed to last the round by hugging. In the second round Logan got Goodwin on the rope and smashed right and left on the face and started the claret running from Chester's nose. Logan had the advantage at the end of the round.

Goodwin gave Logan an awful beating in the third round, knocking the local boy down four times, and had him in an almost helpless condition when the bell rang. In the fourth round, after boxing for about two minutes, the referee, seeing that Phil had no chance to win, stopped the contest.

Billy Willis came within an ace of knocking out Hughey Murphy, of New York shortly before the end of the fifth round, with a short right-hand punch on the point of the jaw. It looked as though it was all up with the New Yorker, as he laid on his back and never moved a muscle. Just as the referee was about to count the final ten he jumped to his feet. Willis was after him right and left, but by hugging the visitor managed to stay the rounds. The milling was very fast in the last round, with the local boy doing the better work. For straight, stand-up and hard hitting the bout would be hard to beat. The boys hardly took a breathing spell while in the ring, being in action all the time, and it was only a question as to who would land the deciding punch. Although Willis had the better of the contest he had bellows to mend at the end of the sixth round.

Kid Murphy, of New York, and Kid McLaughlin were the first pair to try conclusions, and the New Yorker had something on the local boy in every round except the fifth. At the end of the sixth round it was found that McLaughlin injured one of his hands during the bout.

Johnny Allen and Kid Henning, of Washington, were to have boxed six rounds, but after being knocked down and getting a good beating Henning quit at the end of the third round. Henning said that he was sick and could not do himself justice, and did not care to have a knockout registered against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment