Search this blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

1895-12-05 George Dixon D-PTS10 Frank Erne (New York, NY, USA)

1895-12-06 The New York Herald (New York, NY) (page 10)

He Proved Himself the Better Man, Outfighting Erne in Every Round but Two.
They Are Matched to Fight on February 14, Probably On Mexican Soil.
Through an extraordinary decision on the part of Charles Sagel, the referee, George Dixon, the feather weight champion of the world, was deprived of a well earned victory over Frank Erne, of Buffalo, at the New Manhattan Athletic Club last evening. Ten rounds were fought, and in all save two Dixon clearly demonstrated his superiority over his opponent. The little pugilistic marvel never fought fairer nor better in his life, but despite this the crowd cried "Foul!" "Kill the nigger!" and hissed him frequently.

It was disgraceful work. Such an exhibition of feeling would not have been tolerated in Harry Hill's in its palmiest days, and it is a pity that it was permitted in Madison avenue. Judging from the criticisms of those who led the attack on the little colored boy they have a very vague knowledge of the sport and should not be allowed to witness a fistic event. A more prejudiced lot of alleged sports never assembled in one place.


If Mr. Genslinger, the manager, is wise he will take plans to discover those who were responsible for the discourteous treatment of Dixon and bar them for life. He will not have much trouble in locating them.

"Tom" O'Rourke objected to Sagel as referee when the match was made. He would have held out for another man had it not been for the interference of Genslinger. The latter insisted on Sagel or no fight.

Erne acted almost entirely on the defensive. Three times only during the entire ten rounds did he make a lead. Dixon, who looked like a bantam alongside of the Buffalo man, was kept busy chasing the latter around the roped arena. He outpointed him at least 20 to 1, and proved that he is as superior to Erne as Corbett is to "One Eyed Connelly."


Despite all this Sagel declared the contest a draw. One thing is certain, Erne's showing did not justify a draw.

It was a quarter of ten P. M. when the men appeared in the ring. Both seemed to be in excellent condition. Dixon weighed in at 122 pounds, while Erne tipped the scales at 126 pounds. Erne was seconded by "Charley" White and "Jack" McTiernan. Dixon's squires were "Tom" O'Rourke, "Joe" Gordon and J. Elms. "Jimmy" Frawley, of this city, held the watch for Erne, while "Jimmy" Colville, of Boston, performed a similar service for Dixon. Erne had a decided advantage in height.

Dixon missed many times in the first round, owing to Erne's good defence. The colored boy, however, got home several good body and face blows, and received two stiff left hand counters.

Dixon was very aggressive in the second round, and scored repeatedly on the face and body with both hands, while Erne only landed two good blows. A left hand swing caused Erne's right ear to swell and bleed.

The third round was in Erne's favor. He cut out the work, and outpointed Dixon two to one. The fourth round was also in Erne's favor, the Buffalo boy landing hard and often and getting away without returns.


In the fifth round Dixon braced himself and fought nobly, smashing Erne right and left. The sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth rounds favored the champion. He chased Erne all around the ring, hitting him almost when and where he pleased. Once he sent Erne reeling toward the ropes, the result of a right hand smash on the jaw, and again he doubled him up with a left hand body blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment