Search this blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

1917-02-13 Jack Dempsey L-KO1 Fireman Jim Flynn (Murray, UT, USA)

1917-02-14 Deseret Evening News (Salt Lake City, UT) (page 10)
Officers at Ringside Make No Effort to Enforce Law--Juveniles Allowed in Preliminary--Firemen Duped by Promoters--Staged as "Benefit."
In violation of the state statute the Jim Flynn-Jack Dempsey prize fight was staged last night in Murray, ending in a knockout when Flynn landed a terrific left to his opponent's jaw in the first round after 25 seconds of fierce fighting. Dempsey was insensible for several minutes and when brought back from the land of nod he evidently thought he was still in the prize ring and attempted to slug his seconds.

Several officers sat at the ringside but took no steps to interfere, or make arrests immediately following the knockout. When two boys appeared in the ring as a preliminary, the crowd of fight fans yelled and shouted to them to go in for a knockout. The officers made no effort to prevent this bout as a preliminary but it is understood that the matter is being investigated by the juvenile court officers and some action is expected.

Fireman Are Duped.

The Murray fire department was given a guarantee of $250 by the promoters to be allowed to use its name in pulling off the fight as a "benefit." The gate receipts amounted to approximately $5,000, the promoters getting away with all but the $250. The Murray firemen realize this morning that they have been "buncoed" again and John Rens, head of the water system, and a fireman, says "never again." The prizefight was opposed by a great many citizens of Murray because they were aware that the volunteer fireman association was being "duped" once more and would receive only a pittance for allowing the affair to be pulled off under its name.

Fred Winsor was the chief promoter. Billy Roche represented Flynn and A. J. Auerbach represented Dempsey. Before the fighters entered the ring, the gate receipts were split after considerable wrangling, but those connected with the affair will not say who got the big end of the money. It is understood, however, that Flynn's demands were met and when he got into the ring he cut loose for a knockout, outclassing his opponent in every respect.

During the time the men had been in the ring after shaking hands, Dempsey was hit twice on the left side of the head and twice on the right and the finish punch which closed the short but brutal contest between two giants.

After being hit twice, Dempsey appeared dazed and he was helpless as a baby against the final rain of blows. Dempsey appeared ready to do battle at the opening gong and rushed in with all his speed, but the hammer punches ended his aspirations to finish a winner.

Flynn himself has received a brutal beating like he administered last night. In a battle with Joe Wolcott a negro in San Francisco, Wolcott delivered one punch, which put Flynn out.

Boys Allowed in Ring.

Johnny and Alex Bratton, nine year old twins, appeared in a preliminary bout. The boys fought in the same ring as the heavyweights. They fought and slugged away but being equipped with soft gloves neither was hurt, but despite this, there was the spirit of the occasion present and the thousands of fight rooters cheered loudly as though the boys were heavyweights.

Charlie McGillis boxed Ern Wright three fast rounds. Neither did much damage. Much delay was caused previous to the main bout because one of the fighters had to discuss financial arrangements with his manager. This caused many fans to become disgusted.

Officials Evade Issue.

County Attorney Richard Hartley today said he did not attend the affair in Murray last night and he had not been advised as to the facts. In the absence of evidence he said he could give no opinion as to whether or not the law was violated.

Sheriff John S. Corless said that while he was not there himself a number of his deputies were. The sheriff said he had instructed his men to stop the fight if it became brutal or if it assumed the phase of a prize fight in violation of the law. The reports he had received were to the effect that the affair was over so soon that there was no time to decide as to the merits of the contest and his deputies had told him they had no time to take action. Whether or not it was an infraction of the law he was unable to judge.

1917-02-14 Salt Lake Telegram (Salt Lake City, UT) (page S2)

Jack Dempsey Lasts About Twenty-five Seconds Before Veteran Jim Flynn in Bout
It was the thirteenth day of the month and Jack Dempsey forgot to duck.

The "pride of Utah" will therefore have ample reason to shy at the baker's dozen day in the future for he lasted just about twenty-five seconds before Jim Flynn at Murray last night. A right hook square on the chin apparently sent Dempsey to the place where the birdies sing and it was curtains.

Jim Flynn learned this little trick from a dusky hued battler by the name of Langford and Jack wasn't wise to it or he was so far engrossed in his financial affairs that he failed to remember it. It was one of the shortest mills on Jim Flynn's record. In fact there is but one of shorter duration that we can remember--the time Sam Langford dropped Jim with a punch. Now, if Jack will but memorize, learn, master and cultivate his little stunt as Jim did after sad experience, he may still have a chance for he can always have old man Flynn before him as a living example.

Kidding seriously--Jack Dempsey learned something last night. He should have learned a lot. This idea of stalling into the start as has always been his style, may be all to the merry when toying with a Young Hector or a "Boston Tar Baby," but it should be placed into the grip when battling against a wise old master with a wallop such as Jim Flynn packs around in his right coat sleeve.

After a whole lot of unnecessary delay, both fighters finally entered the ring somewhere nearer midnight than 9 o'clock and much to the discomfiture of the audience and, apparently, themselves as well, Jack forgot to shake hands, but Flynn insisted on this little formality, all of which took up about five seconds. Jack rushed at Dempsey as if he, too, had a last car to catch. Jack bent over and covered up. Flynn rushed again. In fact he tore into the local man, pushed him into position with one hand and laced him with the other. Dempsey acted as if he might be content to let well enough alone, perhaps in the hope that Flynn might tire, step back or finally give him a chance to straighten up. Dempsey did not appear to be in any distress, at any rate. Then came the end like a flash. With Dempsey still bent over and walking toward Flynn, both forearms and gloves covering his face, Flynn rushed again. The Pueblo battler gave Dempsey's head a quick shove toward his right and sent a short right hand hook through De
mpsey's guard and straight to the point of the chin. He stepped back at the same instant and Jack went down face first in his gloves. It was all done in a flash, but those close to the west side of the ring could plainly see the punch and all grabbed their hats and coats for the bout was over before it had gotten started.

Dempsey entered the ring as if scared out of his wits and shook like a leaf as the seconds were putting on his gloves. No one realized this any more than Flynn did and the latter was not slow to take advantage of it.

The entire show was again marred by too much delay and senseless argument. It did not set well with the fans and surely did the Murray game no good. It is difficult to fix the blame for the hour or more of delay before the main event, but Promoter Fred Winsor states it was a wrangle between one of the fighters and his manager had something over which he had no control. It was bad at any rate.

Kid Egan and Slim Murphy put on a punk four-round preliminary, but even this might have been forgotten, but for the big delay later on. The Bratton twins boxed three rounds as if they meant it. It was the best showing they have ever made before an audience and they were well rewarded with a silver shower from the fans. Charley McGillis and Erne Wright boxed three rounds to do the promoters a good turn and drown out the complaints from the crowd. Two firemen from Murray did likewise.

Frank Armstrong refereed the "big" bout and Erne Wright acted in that capacity for the prelims.

1917-02-14 The Ogden Standard (Ogden, UT) (page 2)
'Knockout Drop' Comes in Twenty Seconds--Dempsey Gets No Chance at Pueblo Man.
Salt Lake, Feb. 14.--Exit Dempsey! A "one-two" to the jaw was about all there was to the much-advertised battle at Murray last night. There was only one redeeming feature to the entire bout, and that was the fact that the dope books will carry down to posterity the information that Jim Flynn was engaged in one of the shortest bouts in history. The contest lasted twenty seconds and in that time Jack Dempsey never laid his glove on the "Pueblo trial horse." The men shook hands, Flynn put his head down and bored in. He got a left to Dempsey's face and had the local boy covering up and not knowing what to do. As Jack dropped his guard from his chin and peeked out, Jim put a right swing to the local boy's jaw, followed quickly with a right to the same spot, and Referee Ralph Armstrong counted ten. It was all over except hauling the "local pride" to his corner.

The entire show was handled in a way which has been characteristic in this vicinity for some time, the promoters "working" the public to a finish. There was the usual football rush to get in the single door to the hall--a good center rusher was sure of getting in--others had to sneak in.

The first preliminary between "Slim" Warden and Carl Ulgren went the scheduled four rounds to a draw. Neither man showed even curtain-raiser class.

The Bratten twins, Aleck and John, aged 10 years, put on three one-minute rounds which caused plenty of mirth and showed the crowd what kids can do when given an opportunity.

Then there was the long, lonesome heartbreaking wait of one whole hour, sixty weary minutes with nothing to do but drink soda pop and peddle chin goods. To break the monotony, after thirty minutes of waiting, two of the Murray firemen climbed into the ring and put up three rounds of good amateur milling. Another wait for fifteen minutes, and Ern Wright of Murray, who had refereed the preliminaries, put on the mitts and uttered a defi. One "Chick" McGillis, former boxer, stepped into the squared circle and donned the other pair. It was a draw, but McGillis crushed in his white collar, mussed his necktie and dirtied his cuffs, while Ern lost the part in his hair.

At the end of an hour the cheapest fiasco ever pulled in this locality was commenced. The next business man who surrenders real money to take in a bout "close in" will certainly demand that he get at least half his money's worth in preliminaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment