Search this blog

Saturday, April 2, 2011

1900-04-02 Joe Gans W-TKO5 Chicago Jack Daly [Penn Art Club, Philadelphia, PA, USA]

1900-04-03 The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) (page 6)
Monkeys With Him for Four Rounds and Then Quietly Drops Him in the Fifth
Devine Scraps Like a Washerwoman Hanging Out Clothes and Still Manages to Stay the Limit
The eccentricities and the uncertainties of the boxing game were brought out in bold relief at the show of the Penn Art Club, at Twentieth and Montgomery avenue, last night. The preliminaries were all right. Everybody agreed to that. But the semi-wind-up and the wind-up! Well, they were strictly very much Upper Sandusky.

Chicago Jack Daly met Joe Gans in the wind-up. It was liberally circulated that the winner of this particular bout was to be stacked up against Frank Erne. Just why, as events proved, was not apparent. Daly is a game, and doubtless a good fellow, but when it comes down to the serious side of the fighting game--particularly when a championship is in view--he will have to be passed up. Gans devoted the first two rounds of last night's bout to sizing his man up.

That being done, he deliberately pulled in the next two, and then went in the fifth and settled his opponent with a cameo swing on the jaw. Daly's head and feet assumed a horizontal position, and his koko hit the flooring with a resounding thud, and the spectators made a rush to seek the outer air. There never was a stage of the game when Gans did not hold Daly more than safe, and though his well-meant kindness to "pull" in order to give the spectators a run for their money was appreciated by a few, it was not that for which the people paid. It was such an obvious fake that all hands were on before the gong sounded for the beginning of the fifth round.

* * *

The semi-wind-up was between Dan Dougherty, 105-pound champion of America, and Jimmy Devine, of Philadelphia. Although the bout went the limit, Devine never stood any chance. He tried hard, but was hopelessly outclassed at every point. Dougherty simply made a punching bag of James, and won in the easiest possible manner.

Isidor Strauss and Harry Berger fought a clean, hard bout. Both tried all they knew how, exchanging blow for blow throughout the bout. It was one of the most even contests seen in a long time, and at the end it would have been hard to pick the winner. The final bell sent the lads to their corners, neither having the advantage.

When Bobby Thompson and Charlie Norton came together, it was evident that an old score had to be wiped out by one or the other. Each lad had a win to his credit, and now the rubber had to be won. Norton's left repeatedly shot out like a piston rod, finding Bobby's jaw each time. Thompson played for the body, but many of his blows fell short, and Norton would rip in that left, which seemed to rack Thompson from head to foot. Both were very cautious, and would take no risks. Norton put up a grand battle, fighting Bobby all over the ring. Thompson tried his hardest, but at no stage of the game could he get on even terms with Norton. The bell sent the boys to their corner, Norton winning the rubber.

Tommy Feltz and Frankie Walsh opened the evening's sport. Walsh was the bigger boy and had the advantage in reach. Feltz waded into Frankie and landed many hard body blows. Walsh stood well away from the Brooklyn lad and jabbed his jaw repeatedly. The fourth was a terrific round, both fighting hard. Feltz was all but out, but he clinched and saved himself. Walsh continued to jab Feltz all over the ring. The bell sent the boys to their corner, with Walsh a good winner. Feltz was game to the finish and fought a splendid battle against long odds.

1900-04-03 The Philadelphia Record (Philadelphia, PA) (page 13)
Colored Fighter Stops the Chicago Man in the Fifth Round.
Dougherty Fails to Stop Devine. Berger Gets Rather the Better of Strauss--Feltz and Welch Draw.
With fourteen seconds still remaining of the fifth round, Joe Gans, of Baltimore, dropped Jack Daly, of Chicago to the floor with a right on the jaw, at the opening show of the Penn Art Athletic Club, Twentieth street and Montgomery avenue, last evening. It was the fourth time Daly had been down in the bout, but only the second time that he had been forced to take a count. The other serious knock-down happened in the fourth round, and came near putting the Chicago man out of the business right there, but he was game and got up and fought the round out. He got up all right after the last knock-down, but ten seconds had been counted off, and he was in such a condition that it would have been unwise to have allowed him to continue. Gans had proved himself the better man, and that having been settled there was no cause for needless brutality.

Daly, while a willing fighter and a hard hitter, has much to learn, and he probably picked up a few pointers last evening. Gans waited for him with great patience and Daly ran into a pretty hard punching. Daly set out to do Gans up in short order, and the very first time the men came together they hung on with lefts and pummeled away with rights for half a minute or more. Then Daly tried to land with a right swing, but he was terribly wild and Gans easily avoided him. At the close of the round Daly's nose was bleeding slightly and he looked worried.

But the Chicago man was there to fight and he opened up the second round in even more hurricane order, and he soon grazed Gans' jaw with a right smash which had lots of push behind it. Gans clinched and then Daly soaked his left into the stomach. Daly swung two or three times hard for the face, but he could never connect just right. The round was all in Daly's favor, but he did little execution.

Daly kept right after the colored man in the third round and landed a left in the face and right in the ribs. The next time he rushed, however, Gans stepped back, and, holding with his left, uppercut Daly in the face with his right. Then Gans began to do some work and he easily had the better of the round. A good right on the ribs was about all the execution Daly did in the fourth round. Gans got him by the back of the neck with the left and uppercut him three times with rights before he could get out of it. Then he crossed one of Daly's left leads, bringing him to his knees. Daly was up in a hurry and Gans went at him for keeps and in about 30 seconds knocked him down with a right on the jaw. Daly took the full count and then by good blocking and holding lasted the round out.

The fifth round lasted two minutes and 56 seconds, counting the ten seconds allowed Daly to come to time after his last knock-down. Gans poured the hot shot into him from every quarter and once tripped Daly after hitting him on the jaw and staggering him. Daly sat down, but jumped up quickly, only to receive a shower of blows.

Charley Norton, of this city, and Bobby Thompson, the Canadian bicycle rider, met for the third time in the ring, and Norton for the first time had the better of the argument. Norton protected his jaw so well with his right that Thompson never reached it with his right-hand swings, and Charley at the same time peppered Bobby with left-hand jabs in the face with such persistency as to give him much the better of it.

Harry Berger and Isadore Strauss boxed six hard-working rounds without doing each other any damage. First one and then the other had the best of it, and in the sixth round the boxing was about even. Berger rather outpointed Strauss, counting all rounds, he landing quite a number of rights on the jaw, none of which, however, proved hard enough to drop Strauss.

Danny Dougherty and Jimmy Devine agreed to fight straight Marquis of Queensberry rules, and as Dougherty proved much the better boy the bout was uninteresting. Devine was persistent and stayed the six rounds, but there was a lot of hugging and kidney punching. Devine was once pushed through the ropes and off the stage, and several times he went to his knees to avoid punishment. Dougherty's blows lacked steam and Devine could have continued had it been necessary.

Tommy Feltz, of Brooklyn, and Freddy Welch, of this city, put up six very fast rounds, with honors fairly even at the end. Feltz forced the contest from start to finish, but Welch did his share of the work in the mix-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment