Search this blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

1911-04-04 Jack Dillon W-PTS12 Frank Mantell [Armory Athletic Association, Boston, MA, USA]

1911-04-05 The Boston Journal (Boston, MA) (page 9)
Fast Milling At Armory A. A.
Hoosier Boxer Proves That He Is a First Class Middleweight.
Joe White Defeats an Italian Called "Burke"--Lennon and Coes Draw.
There was a large gathering at the Armory A. A. last night to witness the all-star show. Jack Dillon of Indianapolis made Frank Mantell of Pawtucket look like a selling plater, and Matty Baldwin did the same, although not to such a great extent, to Tommy Carey of Philadelphia. In the preliminaries Joe White defeated Teddy Burke in six rounds and Jimmy Lennon and Johnny Coes boxed a draw at the same distance.

Jack Dillon showed himself to be a first-class middleweight in his bout with Frank Mantell, and the Hoosier must be considered as a fit candidate for championship honors. Mantell put up as game a battle as one would wish to witness, and took punches on the jaw and body that would have meant a knockout against a boxer who was not a human fortress.

Dillon An Infighter.

Dillon is an infighter when he is allowed to choose his attack, but is a fair boxer in the open. He is inclined to hit low when he starts a left hand upper cut, but this offense is not intentional.

Mantell made a grand rally in the two final rounds, and had the crowd rooting for him, but it was a dying effort. Dillon showed poor judgment in mixing it up in the final round, as he had the bout won by a mile up to that period.

Matty Baldwin came to his own in his bout against Tommy Carey of Philadelphia. There was nothing to it but Baldwin. Matty boxed in his old time style, and there never was a round throughout the twelve round period in which Carey had a lead. Carey was no slouch at that, and realizing that a knockout was his only salvation the visitor made a determined flash at the opening of the eleventh round, but the Charlestown boxer not only held him off, but beat him to all of his leads.

Baldwin is not as fast as he was when he was considered a possibility as the lightweight champion of the world, but he is far from all in, and his injured arm did not bother him in the slightest last night.

"Burke" An Italian.

Joe White of South Boston defeated an Italian who performed under the name of Teddy Burke. "Burke" substituted for Young Jaspar, who injured his ankle in the main bout at Woburn Monday night. White had to go all the way, as "Burke" was game throughout, but lacked the stamina in the closing round.

Jimmy Lennon and Johnny Coes boxed a six round draw in the opening bout. As usual, there was a mild protest over the decision, but the award was fair and equitable, as each offset the lead scored by the other.

On account of the A. A. U. boxing championships being held in Mechanics' Hall next Monday and Tuesday evenings, the regular weekly show of the Armory A. A. will be held Wednesday, April 12. The program has not been arranged as yet, but will be announced Friday.

1911-04-05 The Evening Times (Pawtucket, RI) (page 2)
Jack Dillon Gets Better of Frank Mantell at Boston
Indianapolis Middleweight Has It On Him in Every Department.
Mattey Baldwin Gets a Shade the Better of Tommy Carey.
BOSTON, April 5.--Leaving little room for any doubt, Jack Dillon, the Indianapolis middleweight, outfought and outgeneralled Frank Mantell in the feature bout at the Armory A. A. last night. Matty Baldwin won from Tommy Carey of Philadelphia in 12 rounds, but Baldwin did not have anything to boast about.

The Charlestown boxer gives every appearance of being done as a high grade performer. Carey boxed in a willing manner and what solid blows were scored could be credited to him. Baldwin missed time after time, and his blows had absolutely no power behind them. Baldwin scored oftener and made his blows look more effective than they were by pushing Carey. Carey was boxing just as good in the final round as when he started, while Baldwin gave every appearance of being tired and worn out.

Carey proved an aggressive little chap and early in the contest smeared Baldwin's face and lips with his gloves. Baldwin acted rough at times, particularly when Carey was scoring on him. The visitor, on the other hand, boxed a clean contest.

Jack Dillon lived up to his reputation and proved to be all able boxer. In every round he had a lead, and in some he showed way ahead of Mantell. The latter put up a game battle, but could do nothing to stem the tide. The visitor has no particular style. He uses old-time and up-to-date methods. His position in the ring will bother any boxer, while his attack and defense are perfect. Mantell is rather a clever boxer, but against Dillon he didn't have a chance.

For three rounds Dillon placed his punches almost when and where he wanted. Mantell's heavy attack was blocked most of the time, although the Pawtucket boxer got in some good, solid blows.

About one second before the ending of the fourth round Mantell scored a clean right-hand punch to the jaw that shook Dillon from his head to his toes. Mantell assumed the aggressive in the fifth round and made his best showing, scoring with solid punches to the body. Dillon displayed good judgment here, when, quick as a flash, he shifted his attack and started to box for Mantell's head.

The preliminaries also were good. Substituting for Young Jasper, who injured his ankle while in another contest, Benny Burke of the North End went in and for six rounds gave Joe White an excellent contest. Burke lost the decision, but did remarkably well to hold off White for six rounds.

In the opening preliminary Johnny Coes of the South end and Jimmy Lunnin of Roxbury boxed a six-round draw. For some reason or another the preliminary bouts are overlooked, but these boys crowded more work into their rounds of boxing than some so-called star performers.

1911-04-05 The Evening Tribune (Providence, RI) (page 8)
Mantell Puts Up a Great Battle Against Jack Dillon
Pawtucket Boy Lost Decision to Western Fighter, One of World's Greatest Middleweights.
Staggered Him with Fierce Wallop in Fourth.--Mantell Did Not Bear a Mark.

(By N. T. Granlund.)

One of the toughest and fastest fights between middleweights of the many seen at the club recently was pulled off at the Armory A. A. at Boston last night, when Frank Mantell lost the decision to Jack Dillon, a bear-cat fighter from Indianapolis. A draw would not have been an unfair decision, for Mantell was twice as clever as Dillon and repeatedly made him look foolish by the clever manner in which he made Dillon miss or blocked his blows almost before they started.


Mantell made a big hit by his showing last night and a part of the crowd seemed peeved at Flaherty's verdict. They thought Mantell was entitled to a draw, in view of his eminently superior cleverness all through the fight. He was never in danger, was never staggered by a punch and warded off a veritable hail of wallops with his gloves and elbows, while he was handing out a fine line of fisticuffs on his own hook.


This Dillon is very good. In the opinion of old-time ring experts and the Boston newspaper men I talked to, he is the best middleweight ever seen in Boston, Klaus, Gardner, Houck or Kelly included. He knows everything. A short, ugly-looking, rugged scrapper, built like Klaus, he is a good boxer, knows every trick of the trade, can cover up when he wants to and can hit like the crack of doom. He has Gardner's cleverness and Klaus's punch, but couldn't get away with Mantell, who went him one better on cleverness and got home more blows. The difference was this: Dillon rushed most of the time, threw blows in all directions, and had the harder punch, while Mantell outpointed him in the clinches and made him waste nine out of ten punches on his gloves or elbows or ducked under them. Mantell was certainly fighting and as round after round went by and he not only stayed with Dillon, but bored in and slugged with him, he got the crowd with him, and they were all rooting for Mantell at the finish.


The last round was probably the most exciting three minutes of fighting ever seen at the Armory. Never before in the history of the club has so much fighting been poked into so few minutes. Dillon came out of his corner with a rush and, with head lowered, charged at Mantell like a bull, his arms flying. The Pawtucket lad met him with a smashing right-hand uppercut, and they met with a crash in the middle of the ring, Dillon striving vainly to batter down Mantell's guard and slam home an uppercut to his jaw or stomach, but Mantell merely knocked his right hand down with his left and gave Dillon a dose of his own medicine by frequently bringing his left up and hitting Dillon in the face. For fully a minute they stood, heads on each other's shoulders, fighting like mad, while the crowd stood up and howled with excitement. Flaherty couldn't break them for a while, but at last they came apart, only to rush together again and repeat the performance. So skillfully did Mantell handle himself in this round that Dillon, with all his rushing and show of fighting, did not land a single blow, which was plainly apparent to the crowd. He tried desperately to get home a wallop and made a great show of fighting, but Mantell's arm was "always in the way," and he didn't land once.

Dillon probably thought he could rush Mantell about the ring and make it look as if he were defeating him, but he was considerably disconcerted by the way Mantell met his rushes and fought him back. Dillon was tiring perceptibly toward the end of the round and all his steam was gone, while Mantell was as fresh as ever and coming strong. A few rounds more might have put a far different complexion on the fight.


Mantell did not have a mark on him after the fight and did not show blood once. Dillon's lips were slightly cut and blood ran from his right ear, where Mantell caught him with a left in the second round. Mantell hit Dillon more than he hit him, but his blows didn't have the steam that Dillon's had. The Indianapolis bear-cat launched a storm of blows and fought hard all the way, but Mantell warded off many of them.


The fight was fast, and was a grueling battle all through. Mantell was perfectly willing to swap punches with Dillon and got a peach of a left jab and right cross to working and did a lot of execution, while Dillon got under Mantell's guard a couple of times and clouted him with a right-hand uppercut, which, however, was partially blocked and did little damage. The first three rounds were even, with Dillon tearing in all the time and trying his best to get over his right to Mantell's jaw. Frank covered so cleverly, however, that he couldn't land.

The fourth round was even until just at the bell, when Mantell let fly a wicked right-hand wallop to Dillon's jaw. It shook the Westerner from head to heels and his knees shook as he went to his corner. He was slow and lethargic in the fifth round, when Mantell was on top of him all the way and had a clear lead at the finish.

Mantell got a swift left jab working in the sixth round and scored enough to give him a shade. He also had a little in the seventh, but Dillon started for his stomach in the eighth and had a big lead at the end. The ninth and 10th belonged to Dillon on his aggressiveness, but Mantell came back strong in the last two and fought Dillon on even terms.


Matty Baldwin came back in wonderful fashion after breaking his arm twice and hammered Tommy Carey of Philadelphia all over the ring. Baldwin slowed up after the fifth round as he did enough work before that to give him the victory by a wide margin. Carey was game and had a cast-iron jaw, which made Baldwin's punches ineffectual.

1911-04-05 The Indianapolis Star (Indianapolis, IN) (page 11)
Indianapolis Middleweight Delights Boston Fans With Whirlwind Fighting--Both Boys Swap Punches at Final Bell.
BOSTON, Mass., April 4--(Special)--Jack Dillon, the Indianapolis middleweight, made his Boston debut at the Armory tonight and showed good form, decisively defeating Frank Mantell of Pawtucket, R. I., in their scheduled twelve-round bout. Dillon was the aggressor the greater part of the time and, while Mantell showed well at the standoff game, Dillon was the real fighter when it came to mixing.

The Hoosier lad made a great impression on the fans and an effort will be made to hook him up with Frank Klaus for an early date at the Armory Club.

Dillon gave Mantell a severe beating about the body, but the Rhode Islander was game to the core and stood up under the grueling punishment in good fashion. While neither man secured a knockdown, Dillon had Mantell in a bad way in the eighth round, when he put two hard rights to the jaw and Mantell was forced to clinch. For the first five rounds the going was close to being even. Dillon seemed to be holding back for an opening, while Mantell used his long reach to good advantage and kept jabbing his left to Dillon's jaw. Mantell had the better of the argument at the standoff game. Whenever the men came to close quarters, Dillon would rap hard lefts to the body, slowing his opponent up.


After the sixth round Dillon was the master of the situation at all times. He was always ready to take a punch to land one, and at several stages it appeared that Mantell would not last through. Dillon also used a right uppercut with telling effect. As Mantell would come rushing in Dillon would sent rights ripping to the jaw and then play away with both arms to the body. In the eighth, ninth and tenth rounds Mantell took an unmerciful beating, but showed great gameness.

The eleventh round was a hummer. Both men stood toe to toe at times and whaled away at each other without let-up. The final round, however, was not only the fastest one of the night, but one of the greatest ever seen in this city. Immediately after shaking hands Dillon tore into Mantell like a bull, swinging both arms to the head and body. Dillon fought Mantell to the ropes, whipping right-hand punches to the stomach.

Mantell came back strong, however, and both men locked head in the center of the ring, swinging rights and lefts to the body. They worked themselves around the ring in this fashion, both taking and giving severe punishment. Just before the bell rang Dillon rushed Mantell to the ropes again, sending left and right to jaw. Mantell countered with a hard right smash to the jaw and they were swapping punches at the bell.

Dillon said tonight that he would not stay in the East, but would rather return to Indianapolis, as he has several bouts pending in the West.

No comments:

Post a Comment