Search this blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1904-05-11 Aurelio Herrera W-PTS20 Louie Long [Montana Athletic Club, Broadway Theater, Butte, MT, USA]

1904-05-12 The Anaconda Standard (Anaconda, MT) (page 2)
Aurelio Herrera got the decision over Louie Long after 20 rounds of fighting at the Broadway theater last night, but he did not regain any lost laurels, as he won by a very small margin. There were many who thought the game little fellow from the coast should have had a draw and, while that decision might have been more popular with many, the fact remains that, from a fighting standpoint, the Mexican, with a scratch knockdown and first blood, had the edge over Long. Dunc MacDonald, the referee, knows his business, is thoroughly honest, and he watched the progress of the fight closer than any of the spectators. In his opinion, Herrera had a shade the best of the argument. He had no more, however.

While it can be said of the fight that it was a good one, it was still a disappointment. Herrera resorted to petty tricks in whipping his right onto the kidneys, and both men were prone to go into clinches at the slightest provocation. Then, they leaned against each other almost in an embrace and waited for MacDonald to separate them. First one and then the other would complain that he was not at fault, but the referee was wise to them, and several times told the complainer that he was as much at fault as the other boxer.

Both Strong at the End.

When the fight was over, both men were on their feet, both were strong and both eager for the going. The last rounds were lively, and there were several good exchanges. In fact, there were good exchanges in the majority of the rounds, with Herrera generally doing the most punishing. Though the Mexican did the most punching, however, it was not in leading, and he was forced to break ground the majority of the times. Long was always boring in and never overlooked an opportunity to land. At the sound of the gong he invariably went to meet Herrera and led.

He fought at close range, preferring it, and he took no chances. His blocking was a revelation, and many a hard and vicious punch sent out by the Mexican found a landing place on a glove or glanced over the shoulder, which was drawn up to protect the jaw. The Mexican seemed bewildered at times because he could not land, and then he would resort to slashing his right into the kidneys. He was hissed several times for his action.

Long Fought Cleverly.

Long fought cleverly and gamely. He would not break ground, and kept hammering away at the Mexican whenever he saw or thought he saw an opening. Often he landed good blows on the body, face or jaw. It was seldom that he missed. Of course, he was blocked at times, but he made no wild swings and wasted no strength. He was going well and matters were very even until the seventh round, when Herrera landed a right on the jaw that staggered him. They went into a clinch as the blow was delivered and then wrestled for a second or two. In the wrestle Herrera's head, accidentally, it appears, came in contact with Long's jaw.

The next second they were apart, and Long went down hard. He calmly took his time and did not rise until the count of nine. When he regained his feet, it was to go after Herrera and surprise the Mexican with a right on the jaw. Long had appeared groggy when he went down, and Herrera was not looking for any retaliation.

Long Gets Second Blood.

Though Long drew blood from the Mexican, it was not until his own mouth had been caused to bleed. The blood from Herrera was the result of a blow on the right eye. There was a slight laceration and but little blood was seen. Long bled from the mouth, where he had been jabbed with stiff straight lefts. Those jabs reached home after repeated unsuccessful efforts on the part of the Mexican to break through the perfect blocking of the coast boy.

Long appeared to have a glove everywhere the Mexican aimed for, and it was only when Herrera used his strength and rushed in with quick, successive punches that he was able to land on the face. He had said that he could hit Long when and where he pleased, but he did not demonstrate that such was the case. There were many times when some of the spectators thought the Mexican landed, but they must have realized that had the vicious blows not been blocked, Long could not have shown the strength and aggressiveness which were ever in evidence.

The Preliminaries Were Good.

The main event was preceded by two rattling good preliminaries, one of which furnished a knockout. That was the first, between Ike Davis of Butte and Kid Scaler of Spokane. It was scheduled for six rounds, but ended in the fourth, when Scaler was knocked out with a right on the jaw. Davis showed wonderful improvement, both in his boxing and foot work, and he demonstrated that he has a good punch. There appears to be a future for the boy. Scaler, though outclassed, was game to the last, and was fighting back after an awful gruelling when he got his quietus.

The second preliminary was between Maurice Thompson of Butte and Jack Ketchell of Michigan. When the boxers met in the center, it looked as if the Michigander had a chance, but a hard right on the jaw took the snap out of him. He is heavier than Thompson, but has little or no science. In fact, he fought like a schoolboy, and could get himself into the most awkward possible crouch when ready for a punch. He got a good drubbing, but he was game to the end and fought all the way through the six rounds. Duncan MacDonald gave Thompson an earned decision.

Three Thousand in the House.

The management of the Montana Athletic club had announced that the first preliminary would go on at 9 o'clock, and promptly at that hour the programme was begun. There were then about 3,000 persons in the house by that time, and at 9:55, when Herrera entered the ring for the main event, the crowd had been increased by 500. It is doubtful if the Broadway theater ever seated more persons at a ring contest. The stage was packed to such an extent, too, that twice small sections of the seats went down beneath the weight on them. No one was injured.

When Herrera entered the ring he was accompanied by his seconds, "Doc" Flynn, Maurice Thompson, Sid La Fontise and Fred Klotz. He chose the northwest corner of the ring, which is his favorite. Long followed in a few minutes, accompanied by his manager, Billy Lavigne, Mose La Fontize, James Humes and the Long mascot kid. Long went to the southwest corner, refusing to take the corner diagonally across from the Mexican. After the bandages were on, Duncan McDonald tossed the coin, and Lavigne, for Long, won the toss. Herrera was then forced to go into the northeast corner, diagonally opposite to where Long had selected to sit.

Straight Queensberry Rules.

It was announced that straight Queensberry rules were to govern the contest, the men to protect themselves in the breakaways. William Tremblay of Miles City was announced as timekeeper for the club, and Ted Tennant and D. L. Munroe, a brother of Jack Munroe, looked after the minutes for Long and Herrera, respectively. Regarding the weights, it was announced that neither man had tipped the beam at the prescribed weight, 128 pounds, when they weighed in at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. A telegram was read from Benny Yanger, stating he would meet the winner on Miners' Union day in Butte.

Herrera money was freely offered at 7 to 5, and there were some takers. One bet was $75 to $50. There was an offer of $500 to $250 on Herrera, but it went begging. No one appeared willing to bet the Mexican would knock out Long. The odds on him were too liberal. He was little better than an even money chance.

As there was little real brilliant fighting, a description of the contest by rounds is not interesting. The word "clinch" appeared too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment