Search this blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1910-05-17 Stanley Ketchel W-KO3 Porky Dan Flynn [Armory Athletic Association, Boston, MA, USA]

1910-05-18 The Boston Journal (Boston, MA) (page 11)
But Boston Fighter Puts Up a Game Battle With the Champion.
Stanley Ketchel knocked out Porky Flynn in three rounds in the main bout at the Armory A. A. last night. There was no question about the knockout, as Flynn was prone on the floor while Maffit Flaherty counted the fatal ten. Porky Flynn is far from a champion, but let no man say that he is not game. Ketchel outclassed Porky and made a most pronounced impression. The knockout came in the third round, but it was quite apparent at the end of the second round that Flynn was nearing his end.

The clubhouse held an overflow gathering, and, while 90 per cent of those present expected to see Flynn go to the center of the ring with his knees knocking together, they were greatly surprised at Porky's gameness. The local youth showed no traces of the white feather and before taking the final count made every effort to give Ketchel a battle.

Ketchel is a fighter from his feet up, and, while he may not be able to beat Sam Langford at catchweights, the Michigander looked as he could scale at the 158-pound middleweight limit. If Langford ever attempted to make that weight the Bostonians who saw the bout last night might like to back Ketchel, but would flock to the standard of the negro at catchweights.

Porky Lands Some Left Jabs.

In the first round Porky started to land some left jabs, and was successful. Ketchel was content to wade in, playing for body punches. "Ketch" started the blood from Flynn's nose just before the round closed, and while the crowd cheered Flynn's efforts kept boring with grim determination.

When the second round opened Flynn made a hurricane opening and the gathering was clearly with him. The local chap slipped to the floor while trying to start a swing, but was up quickly. In this round Porky landed a clean right-hand uppercut and looked good for a while, but when Ketchel started his powerful body punches and shifted that famous left hook to the face Flynn was in a bad way as he feebly wandered to his corner when the bell rang.

Porky, game as the proverbial pebble, tried to flash again as the third round opened, but Ketchel, after deliberately taking several jabs to the face, one of which caused his nose to start bleeding, whipped a right to Porky's jaw and Porky floundered badly. Stanley chased Flynn around the ring and a fusillade of blows, ended by a left jolt to the jaw, sent Flynn down for the count of nine. Pork arose, badly dazed, and a terrific right-hand wallop under the heart ended the bout, and Flynn was practically helpless when the "ten" was counted.

Ketchel is not a showy boxer, but showed that he is a powerful puncher, willing to take punishment in order to land his terrific body blows and slip over as clever a left-hand jolt as has ever been seen in this city. The champion showed last night that he is in very good physical condition.

Results of Preliminaries.

In the first preliminary Joe Beaudrot of Somerville was given the decision over George Dennis of Charlestown. Young Reardon of Brockton was given the decision over Tommy Fox of Somerville at the end of six rounds. Tom Foley of South Boston won from Young Donohue of Lawrence in six rounds.

The program for next week will be as follows. Joe Jeannette v. Andrew Morris in the main bout, Tony Lorenso v. Tom Flanagan, Eddie Carr v. Kidd Betts and Tim Sullivan v. Henry Hall in the preliminaries.

1910-05-18 The Evening Times (Pawtucket, RI) (page 2)
Ketchel Makes Quick Work of Flynn
Middleweight Champion Scores Knockout in Third Round at Boston--Made Great Showing.

(By Staff Correspondent of the Times.)

BOSTON, May 18.--Stanley Ketchel, middleweight champion of the world, showed that his nickname of the "Michigan Assassin" is not a misnomer, by mowing down Porky Flynn of Boston in three slashing rounds at the Armory A. A. last night. Although Flynn stood half a head taller than Ketchel and probably had 15 pounds on the champion, he did not have a chance after the first round. The fierce shifts and swings of his rival during the second and third sessions brought the fans to their feet and effectually took the heart out of Flynn, who, after receiving a left to the jaw and a left to the body following a knockdown in the third round, was satisfied to hug the canvas until Referee Maffit Flaherty counted 10.

Flynn took a great deal of punishment in the seven minutes and 30 seconds that he faced the westerner and had he come up again after what proved to be the final knockdown, it would have been but to receive a punch which would have sent him into dreamland.

It was Ketchel's first appearance in Boston and fans to the number of 2500 from all parts of New England crammed into the Armory A. A. to watch him work. The champion proved to be in splendid shape and the way he went after Flynn from the start showed that he was there for business. While some wished that the bout could have lasted longer the majority were satisfied with a view of the "Assassin" in action and his great hitting ability caused admiration and wonder. After the first round Flynn's friends, who hoped that he would be able to stay the scheduled 12 rounds, could see that their favorite was but a 20-1 shot at the best, as his light lefts could not stop the steady advances of the walloping boxer from Michigan.

Ketchel appeared in the ring at 9:48 o'clock and was accompanied by four seconds. He acknowledged the cheers of the fans with a smile and a nod. When he stripped there was a murmur of approval, for it was easily seen he was in fine shape. For 15 seconds or so at the start, Flynn danced away gingerly from the champion, and then surprised the fans by coming at Ketchel and scoring with several good left jabs. Once he caught the champion with a left hook which made Ketchel's eyes snap, but he could not stop the "Assassin's" rushes, whose savage right and left swings fairly whistled through the air.

Near the end of the round Ketchel sent a chugging right into Flynn's body and Porky's face twisted in pain. The blow slowed him up so much that the sound of the gong was very welcome, and he was bleeding from the nose when he went to his corner, Ketchel having started the claret with a straight left.

The beginning of the end was evident in the second, as Flynn, after shooting over several light lefts, started his sprinting tactics. Ketchel caught Flynn with a straight left on the chin and as he clinched Porky responded with a right to the chest. In a neutral corner Flynn fell to the floor in attempting to avoid Ketchel's swings and after he got up he received a left swing that made him put both hands over his face. He was then easy pie for Ketchel, who hammered him against the ropes and had him very weak when the round ended.

Flynn began to run at the start of the third, but Ketchel gave him no rest and kept rushing until with a series of crushing rights and lefts he dropped Flynn for the count of eight. The Boston boy came up wobbly and Ketchel dazed him still more with a right uppercut to the chin. Then, in Flynn's own corner, Ketchel whipped a left to the mouth and swung the same blow to the body. Flynn went down for the final time and was content to stay there until counted out. The third round lasted one minute and 30 seconds.

A flurry of excitement was created when one of Flynn's seconds threw water upon him in an attempt to bring him to, Ketchel saw it and aimed a kick at the man which missed his face by inches. The champion's seconds hurried him to his corner before the disturbance was carried any further.

In the opening bout last night Joe Boudreau of Somerville won the decision over George Dennis of Charlestown in six rounds of fast boxing. In the second bout Young Reardon of Brockton won from Tommy Fox of Charlestown in six rounds.

Tom Foley of South Boston won over Young Donahue of Lawrence in six rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment