Search this blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

1899-03-03 Frank Erne W-KO7 Dal Hawkins [Woodward's Pavilion, San Francisco, CA, USA]

1899-03-04 The San Francisco Call (San Francisco, CA) (page 12)
Lowered the Colors of Dal Hawkins.
Marvelous Cleverness of the Easterner Prevented Dal From Landing His Famous Left Swing.
The patrons of fistic entertainment witnessed a contest last evening at Woodward's Pavilion which years will not efface from the memory.

Dal Hawkins, the flower of the lightweight champions representative of this coast, met Frank Erne, the clever two-handed pugilist of Buffalo, N. Y., in what was to have been a twenty-round pugilistic contest. The local sports pinned their faith on Hawkins, who has a record of winning many hard battles against the crackerjacks of the class of fighters of which he is a representative.

The betting favored Hawkins from start to finish, or, in other words, Hawkins was the favorite from the time the pools opened until they closed. The betting was 10 to 8, with Hawkins on the long end, and before the contestants entered the ring Erne's stock took a tumble, as odds of $10 to $7 went without takers. When Hawkins landed a swift left-hander on Erne's eye in the first round, the effect of which brought the receiver to the carpet, the news of Hawkins' success swept like wildfire about town, and when it reached the poolrooms the supporters of the local man were jubilant, and the Erne money fell from $10 to $7 to $10 to $4, and even at these latter figures Eastern money was hard to get.

The sudden defeat of Hawkins was a great surprise to the local talent, and it is safe to say that many a "hard-earned pocket" feels to-day the result of last evening's entertainment at Woodword's Pavilion.

The contest was a particularly brilliant one--that is, from a scientific point of view. In the first round Hawkins came within a few inches of bringing the sport to a very sudden conclusion. After the usual fiddling and sparring for openings Hawkins swung his dangerous left and his glove landed hard on the right eye of Erne. The force of the blow sent the Eastern lad to the carpet, where he remained for eight seconds. But, cautious and cool as Erne is, he took the limit of time to collect his senses, and was up and at it again before Referee Choynski had time to call him out.

Erne saw that another such punch as he received if landed on the right spot would quickly end the disturbance and cunningly he remained on the defensive, handsomely blocking all left swings that were afterward intended for the jaw point. Hawkins was rapidly scoring points on his adversary and the admirers of Erne freely confessed that unless the Buffalo man had "something up his sleeve" for future use Hawkins would win on points if he failed to score a knockout. In the seventh round Erne, advised by Barney Feeney, changed his tactics, and instead of making a long range fight, which was favorable to Hawkins, he got under the local man's guard and forced a mixup at short range. Dal, who is only what is called a one-hand fighter, attempted to ward off the attack of his opponent, but Erne, who is a lightning-quick striker, had Dal at sea immediately, and in the mixup he landed a hard left jolt on Dal's jaw, which was followed by a sharp right-hand crook, also on the jaw point, the force of which ended all dispute as to the fighting abilities of the men. Hawkins fell on his back and remained dead to the world for some seconds after being counted out.

The police management of the fight, under the command of Captain James W. Gillen of the Seventeenth street station, was as perfect as it was possible to have it. All the passageways were kept clear and the utmost good order was maintained throughout the entire building. No crowding was permitted at the entrance and those who had tickets found no difficulty in gaining admission.

Following is the result of the fight by rounds:

In the opening round Hawkins was the first to lead, and it ended in a clinch. Erne came back at him a few seconds later quick as a lightning with three hard lefts in the face. The blows jarred Hawkins, but he soon returned the compliment, landing his celebrated left swing, which has laid many a fighter low, hard on Erne's cheek, knocking the Buffalo lad down. Erne took the full nine seconds to rise, but did not appear dazed, and after that successfully blocked every left that Hawkins led for his head. Erne ended the round by planting a hard one on Dal's nose.

Erne was kept busy blocking Hawkins' delivery in the second round, but did it so well that most of the blows landed harmlessly on his arms. He retaliated with one good swift punch on Dal's wishbone. Hawkins rushed him to the ropes, but Erne clinched and no harm was done.

Hawkins kept up the leading in the third round, with Erne warding off all the blows and suffering no punishment, save one which Hawkins swung into his side, leaving a large red blotch to denote the spot where it landed.

Hawkins tried his left swing several times unsuccessfully in the fourth. Erne showed great cleverness in warding them off. Hawkins then tried his right, landing lightly on the body. Erne returned with a swift right in Dal's side. In a rush both exchanged lefts and rights on the head and shoulders as the round ended, and went to their corners winded.

Hawkins increased the size of the red spot on Erne's side in the fifth round by landing several hard left swings, which Erne did not guard. Erne did not try a return, contenting himself with avoiding punishment and gauging his man.

Erne showed more confidence in the sixth, opening with a rush and forcing Dal to clinch. Hawkins landed a light left on the forehead and again in the side, and Erne came back at him with hot rights and lefts on the head that dazed the Californian. It was the hottest exchange of the fight thus far.

Hawkins began hostilities in the seventh and what proved to be the last round by rushing his man to the ropes, swinging his left into Erne's side again. Erne retaliated with a hard right swing which landed on the back of Hawkins' neck. Erne rushed Hawkins to the ropes, landing his left and right hard on the head. Hawkins clinched and backed away, and Erne, following him up, swung his left and right across Dal's jaw so quickly that Hawkins probably never knew they were coming. The blows settled Hawkins, probably, but just to show that there was no frost Erne soaked him a straight left in the jaw and a right swing on the side of the head, and Dal went down like a log, falling straight backwards and hitting his head a resounding thump on the floor. He lay stretched there without moving a muscle after the referee counted him out, and his seconds had to carry him bodily from the ring.

Erne was the favorite with the Eastern contingent, and they crowded around him after the battle and showered their congratulations, which he received modestly. Erne comes far from giving any one the impression that he is a prize-fighter, though when stripped he is a perfectly built athlete. Among those who know him he is a quiet, good-looking, curly haired youth, who might easily be mistaken for a college man. He has little to say, and nothing when it comes to speaking of his own achievements. When he wins a battle the money gained is not spent in drink or on the races. He has no use for these vices and says that if he can find some suitable employment he will retire from the prize-ring and devote his time to something more elevating. He was born in Zurich, Switzerland, twenty-four year ago, but was raised in Buffalo, N. Y., which place he calls his home.

The preliminary event of the evening was to have been a ten-round go between Charles Johnson and Eugene Mulligan, both of this city, in the lightweight class. Both were wild and showed little science. After six rounds Mulligan had enough, and made a weak pretense at being unable to arise after slipping to the floor from a light body blows. He destroyed the illusion, however, by jumping up quickly after the referee had counted him out and walking briskly to his corner. For this little exhibition of cowardice he was loudly hissed as he left the ring, and the crowd showed its further deprecation by yelling "fake," which statement was probably well grounded. Ned Hogan refereed the unsatisfactory bout.

What Erne Said.

A jubilant crowd gathered in Erne's dressing room at the conclusion of the fight and poured congratulations into the ears of the victor. The only mark of battle on his countenance was a red tinge below his right optic, where Hawkins had landed a vicious left in the initial round of the contest. While donning his street attire he said that the Californian was a good ring general and had a punch of a middle-weight.

"After the first round," he added, "I knew I had him. He would never have landed the left that knocked me down had I not been careless. Every one told me about the dangerous left, but I got momentarily careless and he got over my guard. It is a peculiar blow, but I got on to it in the first round and blocked it every time he tried it. The blows on my ribs did not hurt me, as I drew in every time he landed. I was confident that I would catch him before the tenth round, and when the chance came I accepted it and put him out. It was a right on the jaw that did the business. I felt so confident before the 'go' of winning that I told 'Kid' McCoy to place a bet on me to win in ten rounds. It is my intention to stay in California for some time, but I have not made up my mind whether I will take any one on."

It is probable that a match will be made between Erne and Lavigne after the latter's fight with Smith. Manager Groom of the National Club has the match in view and will try to secure it for his club.

Hawkins Was Confident.

Hawkins was depressed over his defeat. On reaching his dressing room he was assisted into his clothes by his seconds and immediately left for a downtown hotel, where he met his wife and received her sympathy. His face bore evidence of his having been in a fight. His nose was swollen, a dark spot wreathed his right eye and his lips were puffed by the rapid lefts of his clever opponent. Dal was loth to talk about the outcome of the battle. He did say, however, that Erne was a top notcher and won on his merits. Hawkins said he was confident that he would win and stated he intended fighting faster after the tenth round. I thought I had him in the first round," he said, "but I caught him too high. I think I had a little the better of him up to the seventh, but in that round he caught me and it was all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment