Search this blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

1906-03-01 Sam Langford W-KO15 Larry Temple [Lincoln Athletic Club, Chelsea, MA, USA]

1906-03-02 The Evening Times (Pawtucket, RI) (page 2)
1906-03-02 The Boston Journal (Boston, MA) (page 9)
(same report)
Sam Langford knocked out his bitter rival, Larry Temple, in the 15th and last round of their contest at the Lincoln Club, Chelsea, last night, defeat staring Temple out of countenance with 40 seconds to go. This was their third battle, the other two having been fought at Marlboro last year, one resulting in a draw and the other in a victory for Temple.

This time Langford more than turned the tables, for he gave Larry a very decisive drubbing. Temple was in bad shape before the contest, suffering from a heavy and severe cold. His manager, Reddy Jimmy Mason, wanted him to stall and not fight hard, but Larry insisted that he would do his best.

It was Langford all the way and all the time after the second round. Sam never fought better. His left hand lead was very strong, accurate and powerful, and his right smash to the jaw worked disastrously on Larry's face. But his most effective punch was a bang to the kidneys when they came to close quarters.

It was a fine exhibition of short range fighting. Langford was all to the good and the merry at this style and had it on Larry on every occasion. The loop-the-loop punch was worked, but, of course, it did little or no damage, but there was sharp, quick uppercuts and half-arm jolts which made Larry wince. Langford drove home many a good left hand smash to the pit of the abdomen.

The fight was more or less of a dreamy affair through the 14th round. Both principals were active enough, but while Langford had a good lead, yet there was no real great advantage. In the last round Temple went out and took a chance at slugging, but got more than he bargained for. He was hammered down three times and finally again, to go over on his back while Maffett Flaherty declared Laughing Ho! Ho! Sam the winner much to his delight and to the joy of his chief second, and the discomfiture of Jerry Callahan who had another loser.

There was a very small crowd present, proving that two colored boxers as a main card will not draw in Chelsea. Temple got a good beating and was in a state of collapse for some minutes after the contest. Langford got the decision, but that's about all, as it is whispered that he will not indulge in more than a dozen champagne suppers right off the reel.

Two bouts in the 115-pound competition were held. In the first Bobby Burne defeated J. Cunningham in one round. An extra round was needed in the second and John Shea won from Mike Wall.

The preliminary between Gus Ross and Dick McDonald went to McDonald, but how the decision was ever reached is beyond comprehension. Ross was the aggressor and in four of the six rounds punched McDonald from post to post and back again and around and about. McDonald made a good rally in the last round, but not nearly big enough to even obtain a draw. The decision was handed out as a joke, but it was a poor joke to give Ross, who has good points, such discouraging treatment.

1906-03-02 The Evening World (New York, NY) (page 14)
BOSTON, March 2.--Sam Langford knocked out Larry Temple in the fifteenth and last round of their fight at the Lincoln A. C. last night. It was Langford's fight in nearly every round, and the wonder was the amount of pummeling Temple stood up under. Temple showed good in the sixth and seventh rounds, but that was the limit of his aggressiveness.

After the tenth Temple was in a bad way, but he was game to the core. Langford went after a knockout when the fifteenth opened and rained a perfect volley of right and left punches, with an occasional swing, until he hit the right spot, just forty seconds before the end of the last round.

1906-03-02 The Pittsburg Press (Pittsburgh, PA) (page 22)
Sam Langford Won a Fierce Fight in the Fifteenth Round
Boston, March 2. -- Larry Temple, of Pittsburg, had all the worst of his 15-round bout with Sam Langford at the Lincoln A. C. last night, and was knocked out in the last round. He started with an evident determination to make good, but was no match for Langford, and the only rounds in which he showed up well were the sixth and seventh, in which he went at Langford with a series of lively rushes. Langford was inside them all through, and his jabs and crosses were too much for the Pittsburg man. In the eleventh Langford went down with a snappy right cross to the jaw by Temple.

In the fifteenth Temple went in for a rally and started to mix things up. He get in a few on Langford, but the latter quickly evened up by sending him to the floor. Temple again went down, but come up with a rush, only to get a right to the jaw that sent him down again for the full count. He got up and started to go at it again, but Referee Flaherty sent him to his corner, announcing it was a knockout.

1906-03-17 The National Police Gazette (New York, NY) (page 7)
Driving his opponent to the mat five times in a fifteen-round bout, and sending him into dreamland in the last minute of the final round, Sam Langford disposed of Larry Temple at Chelsea, Mass., on March 1.

Temple was a 10 to 8 favorite, but after the first round it was apparent to the crowd that Langford had improved wonderfully in his guarding, sidestepping and walloping, and barring accidents, he looked a certain winner.

Temple received a bad beating throughout the bout, but the whirlwind tactics and heavy hitting of both fighters served to keep the crowd on edge. In the fifteenth round, though badly tired, Temple started to mix things up with the Bostonian, and the result was that Langford handed him a swift wallop on the jaw forty seconds before the call of time. Temple took the count and many seconds besides before arising from the mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment