Search this blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

1903-03-12 Danny Duane D-PTS10 Kid Griffo [Essex Athletic Club, Boston, MA, USA]

1903-03-13 Boston Morning Journal (Boston, MA) (page 10)
Clever Defensive Work in Essex Feature Contest.
Danny Duane and Young Kid Griffo, both of Philadelphia, met in the feature bout at the Essex Athletic Club tournament last night and after a ten-round battle, mostly on the defensive by both men, a draw was declared by Referee Dan Donnelly. Duane had apparently a shade the better of the contest. His work was a little showier, while Young Griffo's work was "inside." Duane got in some very pretty right-hand swings. The last round was the best of the contest, and both boys did fast work. That round was very even. During the contest Duane seemed to pay particular attention to working body punches, but Griffo's good work was in jabbing with the left.

Kid Murphy, of New York, a very clever and speedy bantam, got the decision over Patsey McKenna in a very interesting bout. McKenna had decidedly the better of the first and second rounds. After that the North End "shifter" lost his steam and Murphy's lefts found lodging.

Albert Delmont defeated Joe Wagner of New York, and Jimmy Hanlon whipped Frank Dunn.

1903-03-13 The Boston Daily Globe (Boston, MA) (page 5)
Duane Outclasses Griffo, but the Referee Was Obliged to Declare Their Bout a Draw.

Danny Duane and Kid Griffo, who met in the feature bout at the Essex A. C. last night, put up one of the fastest and cleverest contests that have been seen in this city for a long time.

Duane had all the better of it during the 10 rounds. He was several pounds heavier than his opponent, but showed from the start that he was the more clever boxer and did great execution with his famous left hand.

Griffo landed some good lefts on the body, but they did not seem to affect Duane in the least. Duane did some clever jabbing with his left in every round, and his right counters shook Griffo up considerably.

According to agreement the referee had to call it a draw.

In the opening preliminary Jimmy Hanlon won over Jimmy Dunn in four rounds.

Kid Murphy of New York and Patsy McKenna boxed a fast six-round bout, and Murphy was declared the winner.

Joe Wagnor of New York and Al Delmont of this city met in the next contest and Delmont outclassed Wagnor so completely in the six rounds that he was given the decision.

There was a good attendance of the members. Dan Donnelly acted as referee and Denny Murphy held the watch.

1903-03-13 The Evening Times (Pawtucket, RI) (page 2)
Boston, March 13.--At the Essex Athletic Club, last evening, Dannie Duane of New York and Young Kid Griffo of Philadelphia boxed 10 rounds to a draw. This decision was a little hard on Duane, inasmuch as he had the better of the argument, but before the bout began the Philadelphia boy insisted that the decision should be a draw if both were on their feet at the finish.

Manager Mack finally gave way on this point, although there was a "kick" and a long delay before the matter was settled.

Duane tried to put Griffo away, but the latter was just clever enough to prevent it. Duane was easily the cleverer of the pair, and had much the better of the argument, especially in the last few rounds, when he beat a merry tattoo on Griffo's head and body. The latter occasionally landed, but most of his leads were cleverly blocked by Duane, who crossed nearly every time, at least twice.

It was very nearly an even break for the first four rounds, with Duane having a slight advantage. Duane started in in earnest in the fifth round, and got a good lead. Griffo began to break ground. In the sixth he was a little wild and many of his swings failed to land.

In the seventh Griffo rushed from his corner to Duane and landed, but got a straight left to the nose in return that drew the claret. Griffo again rushed across the ring in the next round, but Duane stopped him with a left. The latter went in to win in this round, and on every rush landed three and sometimes four good blows, Griffo all the while working to get inside and hang on as much as possible. The next two rounds were fought in the same manner.

Referee Donnelly stopped the Jimmy Hanlon-Frank Dunn bout in the fourth round, owing to the superiority of the former. Patsey McKenna, 106-pound champion of New England, met Kid Murphy, the 106-pound champion of New York. McKenna had his boy all but out in the first round, but Murphy came back in surprising style, and won on his aggressiveness. Albert Delmont won from Joe Wagner of New York in six rounds.

1903-03-13 The Lowell Daily Sun (Lowell, MA) (page 6)

By Associated Press to The Sun.

BOSTON, March 13--Four good bouts were on last night's card at the Essex A. C., the feature being that in which Danny Duane of New York and Kid Griffo of Philadelphia went to a draw through a pre-arrangement that it should be so called if both men were on their feet at the end of the 10th round. Duane wanted a decision according to the articles, but Griffo wanted a draw or extra rounds until a knockout came. Duane had the better of the bout on points.

Timmy Hanlon of this city put out Frank Dunn, also of Boston, in four rounds. Patsy McKenna, 100-pound champion of New England, was defeated on points by Kid Murphy, 100-pound champion of New York, in six rounds.

Albert Belmont of Medford beat Joe Wagner of New York in six rounds.

1903-03-13 The Sun (New York, NY) (page 5)
Lightweights Go Ten Fast Rounds in Boston.

Boston, March 12.--Danny Duane of New York and Kid Griffo of Philadelphia met in the feature bout this evening at the Essex A. C. and although Duane had all the better of it barring a couple of rounds, the event was called a draw because of Griffo's refusal to go the ten rounds for a decision. The New York lad was heavier, stronger and cleverer than his opponent and although Griffo put up a game fight, he was practically unable to penetrate Duane's superb defence. Jack Mack, Duane's manager, came here expecting to go for a decision, but Tom Maguire, who is handling Griffo, refused to accept anything less than a knock-out as convincing evidence of the New York man's superiority. After a long wait, the pair went on.

In the second round Duane blocked the blows off and sent in his own left very effectively. Duane had the better of it in the third and fourth rounds, after some very fast work, Griffo resorting to clinches to save himself. IN the fifth Griffo had a trifle the better of the exchanges. In the sixth Griffo came back strong and split Duane's left eye with a hard right. In the seventh and eighth rounds Duane had the better of it, but in the ninth Griffo landed with his left in good shape. In the tenth Duane tried hard to finish his opponent, but Griffo was game and the pair mixed it up in hot style, each landing some vicious punches.

The great surprise of the evening was the second preliminary in which Kid Murphy, the 100-pound champion of New York, met Patsy McKenna, the 100-pound champion of New England. The latter had age, weight and strength in his favor, but Murphy, who was a mere slip of a lad, with hair so long that it got in his eyes, received the decision at the end of the six rounds. Albert Delmont of Medford met Joe Wagner, the former amateur, in the semi-final bout. The pair went six rounds and Delmont got an easy decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment