Search this blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

1909-03-16 Freddie Welsh D-PTS10 Young Donahue [Parkview Athletic Club, New Orleans, LA, USA]

1909-03-17 The Daily Picayune (New Orleans, LA) (page 10)
Freddie Welsh Unable to Decidedly Outpoint Boston Boy.
Three Thousand Fight Fans Go Wild Over Clever 10-Round Battle at Parkview A. C.
Although Freddie Welsh had slightly the better of the fight last night at the Parkview Athletic Club, after ten rounds of clever work, Referee Wallace Wood called the interesting contest a draw, delighting the host of friends Young (Phil) Donahue, of Boston, has made here.

There was much delay, the cause of which was unexplained to the general public, but was on account of the Parkview Athletic Club people being reluctant about posting the $1,000 guaranteed by them to be posted before Welsh went into the ring. Eugene Lutz, the Britisher's manager, refused to allow Freddie to don a glove before part of the cash, at least, was put up. The fans mused merry cain following the preliminary for at least an hout before $650 of the thou' was finally put up by the Club, and Welsh came on to meet the waiting and ambitious Donahue. A disagreement over who should referee also had to be settled before the fight. Welsh wanted Dr. Wallace Wood. Donahue wanted Dave Barry. Welsh's demands were finally acceded to, Barry being deposed after having officiated gracefully in the preliminary as third man in the ring.

A battle royal between five negroes was the first on the card, and was won by Frank Coleman, a husky and hard-working moke, who was the last man in the ring after ten minutes of fighting. Eddie Dennis, of St. Louis, next fought Paddy McAndrews, at 150 pounds, and won by a knockout in less than a round.

The officials for the main bout were Dr. Wood, referee; Fred Buckowitz and Gabe Hausman, timers.

The first round was even, and so was the fourth. Welsh had a shade the better of the second, third and last three rounds. Donahue was best in the fifth and sixth. Donahue's left was always in the way, and his cleverness prevented Welsh from landing any dangerous blows, neither man being cut up at the end, though both had bloody mouths.

A return match is being eagerly discussed by all parties, both claiming to have had the best of the bout.

The fight by rounds:

First Round--Donahue led, Welsh blocking a left. Freddie tattooed body with rights in a clinch and hooked a left to the face. Donahue landed a right jab. Welsh sent a hard right to the body. Fred missed a left, and Donahue was fighting hard-in close at the end. Even.

Second Round--They exchanged jabs. Donahue landed two left hooks to face. Welsh jabbed with his left and landed lightly to the face in breaking from a clinch. Fred pummeled Phil's face with his right. Donahue got a hard left to the mouth. They were sparring at the end. Welsh's.

Third Round--Donahue landed two long range lefts, but Freddie sent his head back with a jab to the mouth. There was much wrestling, and Donahue's mouth was bleeding. Donahue was fighting back gamely at close quarters and playing for the body when a clinch was broken, and the round ended in Welsh's favor.

Fourth Round--Welsh feinted and put a hard left to the jaw. They did a lot of clinching. Donahue was really fighting. Welsh smiling and blocking and countering lightly. Even.

Fifth Round--Welsh got in some hard body blows in a clinch. Donahue placed a nice left jab, but took a number of body blows. Welsh's left and right follow was successful. Phil was leading at the end, however, having landed a number of lefts and did some fancy blocking.

Sixth Round--Donahue drove in three left jabs, but Welsh laced an overhand right, which staggered Phil. Donahue was covering up and Welsh was carrying all the fight to him at the end. Even.

Seventh Round--Donahue tried to jab and they exchanged kidney punches. Donahue kept Welsh away with his left. Welsh jabbed and followed with hard right. Donahue was persistent with his left, and Welsh could not get to him. Donahue's.

Eighth Round--After Donahue had landed two lefts, Welsh rushed him to the ropes with a shower of blows. Welsh loosened up and after ducking a left sent in a number of lefts to the face. Welsh was leading slightly at the end.

Ninth Round--Welsh slipped, ducking, but came on and placed a hard right to the mouth. There was much rapid clinching and breaking. Welsh hooked a hard right to the jaw and Donahue was covering up. Phil missed a hard swing. Welsh's back-hand right sent Donahue to the ropes. Welsh's.

Tenth Round--Welsh worked on Donahue's kidneys. Donahue jabbed, ducked a hook and covered himself well. Welsh missed a swing and received a number of body punches. He landed a good right to the jaw, but Donahue clinched and the gong caught them fighting close. Welsh had slightly the best of the last round, but the referee called it a draw.

1909-03-17 The New Orleans Item (New Orleans, LA) (pages 8, 10)
Draws With Welsh in Ten Rounds to Surprise of Big Bunch of Fans.
"I will box Donohue 20 rounds across the river if they want me to, but they had better arrange it quickly or I will be gone. I am disgusted since last night. I know I ought to have had the decision. I carried the fight to him all the way and landed more clean blows. How else is a bout to be decided? I didn't feel a blow he landed and don't believe he landed two clean blows in the whole bout. I feel as fresh to-day as if I had never been in a bout although Donohue outweighed me by eight or ten pounds. I weighed 129 Tuesday morning. I think he weighed 140."
Young Donohue surprised nearly 1500 fans Tuesday night by drawing with Freddie Welsh in ten rounds. He put up one of the best scraps of his career, nearly matching Welsh in cleverness all the way.

Although Welsh had a shade it was very, very slight. Donohue made him go like a streak of lightning all the time and he never did get a chance to put over any real punishment. Light jabs to different parts of Donohue's anatomy were all that Welsh had. He never did put over anything that had the earmarks of a wallop.

Donohue tried his chop punch several times but it never did work. Now and then he rocked Welsh's head, and in one or two rounds he had the Englishman looking seriously, though he was never in danger.

The pace told on Donohue but he made a game finish. The last two rounds were hard ones for him. In the ninth Welsh had much the better of the going and Donohue looked tired and used up when he went to his corner. Welsh had begun to work a little on Donohue's facial features, one of the soft spots. His lip was slightly cut and his face bruised. A little more of Welsh's straight jabs from the shoulder would have had Donohue guessing.

In the tenth, however, Donohue was right there with almost as much speed as his opponent. Though not as strong as a few rounds before, he had enough strength to mix it right to the last, and he didn't get much the worst of it in the last round.

Donohue began his good work in the fourth round, and the fourth and fifth were his. He changed his tactics slightly, swinging a few that would have hurt if they had ever landed on a vulnerable spot.

Welsh seemed unable to get at Donohue as he did Erne. Donohue met all his attacks and was willing to give as much as he took. Welsh's footwork was marvelous, dancing around his man with the agility of a cat, but all he could get in was a few light pokes that didn't do a great amount of damage.

In the eighth Welsh began to show strongly. He seemed to realize that the only chance he had of getting a decision was weakening Donohue in the last two or three rounds. He got up under Donohue several times, poking one or two to the wind, pounding his kidneys and then rapping a volley of lefts and rights to Donohue's head as he broke. These blows to the head always slowed Donohue.

Young Donohue was in great shape. He outweighed Welsh by six or eight pounds, but was not as heavy as many fans expected to see him. Welsh was said to be below his normal fighting weight. He was down to 129 the day before the mill and had taken on very little weight when he went into the ring.

The show was terribly mismanaged. The battle royal between five negroes started a little before 9 o'clock. It was amusing while it lasted. There was a delay of twenty minutes or more, and then Paddy McAndrews and Dennis came in to mix it for half a round, which was all McAndrews lasted.

The Wolf-Dixon bout didn't go on, and there the fans sat grumbling--now and then yelling impatiently--from about 9:15 to 11 o'clock.

The delay was caused by a disagreement over referees. Donohue wanted Dave Barry, but Welsh claimed that Dr. Wallace Wood was agreed on when he signed. So Wood was chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment